Posted to user@ant.apache.org by jo...@brightline.com on 2003/12/08 23:04:38 UTC

Ant and Norton Antivirus 2004 on XP

Hi, folks, I'm new to the list.  Been using ant for several weeks now and
started having a problem this morning that maybe someone recognizes.  The
archive listing on the website is a broken link, and Google is yeilding
nothing useful.  I hope this isn't

I work for a startup and we are using ant for our builds.  Been working
like a champ for a quite awhile (months).  About a month ago, I installed
Norton AntiVirus 2004 and while I've had a few problems,  after a shaky
period and some tweaking with OE, it works fine and has been for the past
month, along side ant.

As of this morning, ant started showing some bizarre behavior.  When I run
it, it starts and then pauses for like 3-4 minutes (that's minutes, not
seconds), then finally does what it's supposed to do.  For example, a
simple "ant -help" takes a full 3 minutes to display the standard usage
message.  I was very perpelexed as nothing signficant had changed on my
laptop (other than showing up at work).  I started poking things to to see
what wriggled, and after a long while I turned off the autoprotect feature
on NAV.  Voila, ant starts working again.  These two have been working
together without problems for several weeks now with no issues.

Has anyone seen this behavior before?  I'm suspecting that NAV is scanning
the various jar files that ant is using (ie. ant.jar and others) every
time ant starts and that is what is causing the delay.  Why this has
started happening all of a sudden, I have no idea.  I do use Norton's
LiveUpdate, but whether it pulled an update overnight, I can't say as I
can't find any activitly log that shows this information.  I did another
LiveUpdate, hoping it was a bad update and there was a fix, but while it
did find a Core update, after installation and rebooting, the problem
still exists.

I figure I can't be the only one in the world using ant and NAV 2004, so
I'm hoping someine can either tell me what my issue is, or confirm the
problem.

Anyone?

--Joe
Joseph Millar <jo...@brightline.com>
Principal Software Engineer
Brightline Technology, Inc.
1-603-433-1999 x18

AW: AW: Ant and Norton Antivirus 2004 on XP

Posted by Antoine Levy-Lambert <an...@antbuild.com>.
run ant -debug, you will see where it stops.
Also try to use FilMon.exe from sysinternals, and focus on the files used by
java.exe, this might give you a hint.
Cheers,
Antoine

Posted by Jing Xue <vi...@manifoldronin.com>.
Quoting joseph.millar@brightline.com:

> Thanks, Antoine.  I'n running ant 1.5.4 on XP with Service Pack 1.   I
> sent an email to Symantec, but they have no user fourm that I can find, so
> I guess I have to wait til they wish to get back to me.   I'm a not a very
> happy camper at the moment, but I have no hard evidence to point an
> accusatory finger at.  I might take some time and put a dev build of ant
> on and see if I can narrow down where the pause occurs.  It must be very
> early in the ant startup, however.

I run Ant 1.5.4, XP SP1, JDK 1.4.1 with NAV 2003 Corporate Edition.  On another
machine I run Ant 1.6 Beta 3, XP SP1, JDK 1.4.1 with some other NAV programs
(namely Avast 4.1 and Pest Patrol).  I have never had anything similar to your
experience on either machine.

Can you stably reproduce the problem, e.g., a clean reboot, turning on Auto
Protection, Ant hangs, turning off Auto Protection, Ant works again?

BTW, from my personal experience, I suspect you'll get anything material from
Symantec, ever.  8-)
--J.X.

Re: AW: Ant and Norton Antivirus 2004 on XP

Posted by jo...@brightline.com.
Thanks, Antoine.  I'n running ant 1.5.4 on XP with Service Pack 1.   I
sent an email to Symantec, but they have no user fourm that I can find, so
I guess I have to wait til they wish to get back to me.   I'm a not a very
happy camper at the moment, but I have no hard evidence to point an
accusatory finger at.  I might take some time and put a dev build of ant
on and see if I can narrow down where the pause occurs.  It must be very
early in the ant startup, however.

--Joe
Joseph Millar <jo...@brightline.com>
Principal Software Engineer