Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Yasser Zamani <ya...@apache.org> on 2018/12/20 17:06:39 UTC

Re: Struts showcase integration tests

On 2018/11/21 07:57:09, Yasser Zamani <ya...@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> Do you know or could you recall please how those tests at it.org.apache.struts2.showcase could be run? I wonder if we can develop and then include those in our build to gain huge improvement in our overall test coverage.

[INFO] Penetrating "In-process Web Integration Tests with Jetty and JWebUnit ... runs with no application server, no separate deployment step" [1] instead of burdening Apache build servers with docker!
[INFO] With this approach, it's easier to aggregate and excel current test coverage.
[DEBUG] showcase can commence on org.eclipse.jetty.Server but then hangs on replying to requests!
[INFO] [1] http://johannesbrodwall.com/2006/12/10/in-process-web-integration-tests-with-jetty-and-jwebunit/

:)

Re: Struts showcase integration tests

Posted by Lukasz Lenart <lu...@apache.org>.
czw., 27 gru 2018 o 20:30 Yasser Zamani <ya...@apache.org> napisał(a):
> However, @dev please advice if you have an idea or a working web integration tests coverage reporting. (At my side, gathering integration tests coverage using current available tools had different levels of hardship. According to my numerous probes in internet my PR [2] finally should work but I'm baffled why it reports 0% coverage on classes that jetty covers. The first phase is the showcase classes itself. The second phase is recording e.g. when we have an integration test in showcase which uses e.g. a class from DWR plugin module. I think it needs to add dependencies not as jar but as classes but this idea is thoroughly absurd according to maven mutli-module architecture and philosophy.)

I don't think if this will work. IT tests are operating on a client
side without connection to classes underneath. There is no direct
connection between an integration test and classes under test. To have
such link you would have to run test by test and start and stop the
env on each start and stop of the test.

This doesn't pay enough and coverage is not so important to implement
such a complicated logic. Having IT tests run on each build is a huge
advantage IMO :)

Having that say, I would focus on running IT tests for each build and
ignore coverage for them.

Regards
--
Łukasz
+ 48 606 323 122 http://www.lenart.org.pl/

Re: Struts showcase integration tests

Posted by Yasser Zamani <ya...@apache.org>.

On 2018/12/20 17:06:39, Yasser Zamani <ya...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 2018/11/21 07:57:09, Yasser Zamani <ya...@apache.org> wrote:
> > Hi there,
> >
> > Do you know or could you recall please how those tests at it.org.apache.struts2.showcase could be run? I wonder if we can develop and then include those in our build to gain huge improvement in our overall test coverage.
>
> [INFO] Penetrating "In-process Web Integration Tests with Jetty and JWebUnit ... runs with no application server, no separate deployment step" [1] instead of burdening Apache build servers with docker!
> [INFO] With this approach, it's easier to aggregate and excel current test coverage.
> [DEBUG] showcase can commence on org.eclipse.jetty.Server but then hangs on replying to requests!
> [INFO] [1] http://johannesbrodwall.com/2006/12/10/in-process-web-integration-tests-with-jetty-and-jwebunit/

Resolved [1].

However, @dev please advice if you have an idea or a working web integration tests coverage reporting. (At my side, gathering integration tests coverage using current available tools had different levels of hardship. According to my numerous probes in internet my PR [2] finally should work but I'm baffled why it reports 0% coverage on classes that jetty covers. The first phase is the showcase classes itself. The second phase is recording e.g. when we have an integration test in showcase which uses e.g. a class from DWR plugin module. I think it needs to add dependencies not as jar but as classes but this idea is thoroughly absurd according to maven mutli-module architecture and philosophy.)

Regards.

[1] https://travis-ci.org/apache/struts/jobs/472377214#L9881
[2] https://github.com/apache/struts/pull/301/files#diff-600376dffeb79835ede4a0b285078036R214