Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by RuralHunter <ru...@gmail.com> on 2016/06/01 01:06:25 UTC

Negative message count and dead messages in queue

Hi,

We are using activemq 5.10.2 on our production. I always see negative
message count on some busy queues with many producers and consumers in admin
ui. This is not a big problem but another issue is important. There are some
stuck messages left in some of my queues. The messages are produced several
days ago and it seems they will never be consumed. Though new messages are
produced and consumed in the same queue without problem. Those stuck
messages seems are dead in the queue. This again leads the storage full
problem. The old logs can not be removed because of those dead messages.
Is there anyway I can investigate the cause of the problem?

Re: Negative message count and dead messages in queue

Posted by RuralHunter <ru...@gmail.com>.
Yes, in web console. I can see those messages. They are produced several days
ago. When there is no new message, they stick in the queue. When new
messages are produced, they are consumed quickly but those old messages are
still there and no consumer can get them.

Re: Negative message count and dead messages in queue

Posted by RuralHunter <ru...@gmail.com>.
We only ran 5.13.3 in production for several days and didn't see this issue.
But we saw another issue which we didn't see in 5.10.2:
Some old data file(2 days ago) is reserved because of some queue. But when I
check the queue in admin ui, I didn't see any old message. The new messsages
are in and out all the time in that queue. If I delete the queue in admin
ui, the old data file is cleaned up soon.

Re: Negative message count and dead messages in queue

Posted by Tim Bain <tb...@alumni.duke.edu>.
This feels very familiar, like there was a bug fixed recently or a mailing
list conversion where someone else had the same problem.  I've done some
quick searching both places and didn't find anything obvious.  I keep
thinking I'll have some time to do a better search, but it hasn't happened;
sorry.

I'm curious whether it still happens after your recent upgrade to 5.13.3.
(Once you fix the OOM, which I'm sorry, I don't know anything about.)  If
so, do you have any reliable way for someone who isn't you to reproduce the
problem?  That would let someone attach a debugger and step through to see
what's happening.

Tim

Posted by RuralHunter <ru...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tim Bain <tb...@alumni.duke.edu>.
To be clear, are you saying that you can see them by browsing the queue via
the web console, or are you saying that the counts are non-zero?

Also, what happens if you restart the broker?

Posted by RuralHunter <ru...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tim Bain <tb...@alumni.duke.edu>.
I'm asking what evidence points to the existence of those messages in the
first place.  Counts in the web console, or something else?

Also, do your consumers use any selectors?

Posted by RuralHunter <ru...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tim Bain <tb...@alumni.duke.edu>.
How are you determining that there are dead messages?