Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Miguel Rentes <mi...@efacec.pt> on 2008/02/05 13:32:25 UTC

Errors installing HTTP support in Subversion (Unix Tru64 5.1A)

Hi everyone!

I've been trying to install a Subversion client with support for HTTP
client requests in a Unix Tru64 5.1A machine. I've read from the
installation instructions that I need to install neon or serf for that
purpose. I have downloaded subversion source code and the deps tarball
and extracted both to the same directory. My idea was to build a
subversion client for this platform, so I first started installing the
dependencies apart from subversion (apr, apr-util installed with no
problems). So far so good. The problems arose when I tried to install
neon. I changed directory to the neon which came in the
deps-1.4.6-tar.gz and did first a normal

$ ./configure --with-ssl --with-libs=/usr/local/ssl --with-zlib

(I already have openssl and zlib installed)
At this point everything went ok and had the final output from configure:

configure: Configured to build neon 0.25.5:

  Install prefix:  /usr/local
  Compiler:        cc
  XML Parser:      libxml 2.6.27
  SSL library:     SSL support enabled, using OpenSSL (0.9.7 or later)
  zlib support:    zlib header not found
  Build libraries: Shared=no, Static=yes

Next I did a "make" and got the following error:

/bin/ksh ..//libtool --quiet --mode=compile cc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H
-I/usr/local/ssl/include  -I/usr/local/include/libxml2 -I../ -g -c
ne_request.c -o ne_request.lo
libtool: compile: libobj name `ne_request.lo' may not contain shell
special characters.
*** Exit 1
Stop.

I'm not sure whether this is a libtool or korn shell bug... I tried to
access the neon mailing list
(http://mailman.webdav.org/mailman/listinfo/neon/) and web archive
(http://mailman.webdav.org/pipermail/neon/) to look if someone already
had this error, but unfortunately these two webpages are down, to my
surprise. Can anyone help?

I also tried downloading the latest neon source code (0.27.2) and did
the same ./configure as above and when I got to the part of "make" I got
this output:

/bin/ksh ..//libtool --quiet --mode=link cc -stdl -I/usr/local/include
-no-undefined -L/usr/local/ssl/lib  -rpath /usr/local/lib -version-info
27:2:0 -export-symbols-regex '^ne_[^_]' -o libneon.la ne_request.lo
ne_session.lo           ne_basic.lo  ne_string.lo
ne_uri.lo ne_dates.lo ne_alloc.lo   ne_md5.lo ne_utils.lo
ne_socket.lo ne_auth.lo                          ne_redirect.lo
ne_compress.lo                   ne_i18n.lo  ne_207.lo ne_xml.lo
ne_props.lo ne_locks.lo  ne_xmlreq.lo  ne_acl.lo ne_openssl.lo -lintl
-lssl -lcrypto  -lz -L/usr/local/lib -lxml2 -lz -liconv -lm
..//libtool[96]: gcc:  not found
..//libtool[97]: gcc:  not found
sed: The first regular expression cannot be null.
sed: The first regular expression cannot be null.
sed: The first regular expression cannot be null.
sed: The first regular expression cannot be null.

I configured the CC environment flag to point to "cc -stdl
-I/usr/local/include", so I can't understand why libtool is searching
for gcc at this level and why sed is giving me all these messages. I
continued and didn't consider this output an error and did a "make
install" after that. When I got to the part of building subversion
against apr, apr-util, neon and zlib, all went aparently well (the
compilation and the creation of subversion binaries went with no
errors). But after that, doing a "svn --version" I only have support for
two schemes: svn:// and file://:

svn, version 1.4.6 (r28521)
   compiled Feb  5 2008, 00:47:59

Copyright (C) 2000-2007 CollabNet.
Subversion is open source software, see http://subversion.tigris.org/
This product includes software developed by CollabNet
(http://www.Collab.Net/).

The following repository access (RA) modules are available:

* ra_svn : Module for accessing a repository using the svn network protocol.
  - handles 'svn' scheme
* ra_local : Module for accessing a repository on local disk.
  - handles 'file' scheme

Clearly subversion was not linked with neon, so something went wrong
when I tried compiling neon-0.27.2.

I also tried installing serf (http://code.google.com/p/serf/) version
0.1.2. Extracted the source code, did a configure with the
--with-openssl=/usr/local/ssl and this part went well:

checking for chosen layout... Serf
checking for working mkdir -p... yes
checking build system type... alphaev6-dec-osf5.1a
checking host system type... alphaev6-dec-osf5.1a
checking target system type... alphaev6-dec-osf5.1a

Configuring Apache Portable Runtime library...

checking for APR... yes
  setting CC to "cc -stdl -I/usr/local/include"
  setting CPP to "cc -stdl -I/usr/local/include -E"
  setting APR_LIBTOOL to "/usr/local/build/libtool"
  setting CFLAGS to " -g"
  setting CPPFLAGS to " -DOSF1"
  setting LDFLAGS to " "

Configuring Apache Portable Runtime Utility library...

checking for APR-util... yes
  adding "-L/usr/local/lib" to LDFLAGS
checking for gcc... cc -stdl -I/usr/local/include
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether we are using the GNU C compiler... no
checking whether cc -stdl -I/usr/local/include accepts -g... yes
checking for cc -stdl -I/usr/local/include option to accept ANSI C...
none needed
checking how to run the C preprocessor... cc -stdl -I/usr/local/include -E
checking for a BSD-compatible install... build/install.sh -c
Configuring Serf...

  adding "-I/usr/local/ssl/include" to CPPFLAGS
  adding "-L/usr/local/ssl/lib" to LDFLAGS
  adding "-R/usr/local/ssl/lib" to LDFLAGS
checking for egrep... grep -E
checking for ANSI C header files... no
checking for sys/types.h... yes
checking for sys/stat.h... yes
checking for stdlib.h... yes
checking for string.h... yes
checking for memory.h... yes
checking for strings.h... yes
checking for inttypes.h... yes
checking for stdint.h... no
checking for unistd.h... yes
checking openssl/opensslv.h usability... yes
checking openssl/opensslv.h presence... yes
checking for openssl/opensslv.h... yes
  setting SERF_LIBS to " /usr/local/lib/libaprutil-0.la -lexpat -liconv
/usr/local/lib/libapr-0.la -lrt -lm -lresolv "
configure: creating ./config.status
config.status: creating Makefile
config.status: executing mkdir-vpath commands

But doing a "make" got me into this error:

/usr/local/build/libtool --silent --mode=compile cc -stdl
-I/usr/local/include -g -DOSF1 -I/usr/local/ssl/include -I.
-I/usr/local/include/apr-0 -I/usr/local/include/apr-0  -c -o
test/serf_spider.lo test/serf_spider.c && touch test/serf_spider.lo
cc: Error: test/serf_spider.c, line 37: #error serf spider needs
threads. (errormessage)
#error serf spider needs threads.
-^
cc: Error: test/serf_spider.c, line 123: Missing type specifier or type
qualifier. (missingtype)
    apr_thread_cond_t *doc_queue_condvar;
----^
cc: Error: test/serf_spider.c, line 284: Missing type specifier or type
qualifier. (missingtype)
    apr_thread_cond_t *condvar;
----^
cc: Error: test/serf_spider.c, line 285: Missing type specifier or type
qualifier. (missingtype)
    apr_thread_mutex_t *mutex;
----^
cc: Warning: test/serf_spider.c, line 562: In this statement,
"apr_thread_pool_get(...)" of type "int", is being converted to "pointer
to struct apr_pool_t". (cvtdiftypes)
    pool = apr_thread_pool_get(thread);
----^
cc: Error: test/serf_spider.c, line 744: In this statement,
"APR_THREAD_MUTEX_DEFAULT" is not declared. (undeclared)
                                     APR_THREAD_MUTEX_DEFAULT, pool);
-------------------------------------^
*** Exit 1
Stop.

Serf is expecting some threads library here, I think, but which one? At
this point I'm not sure I'm using the correct tools to make work all the
compilations. I'm using make, not GNU make. Also, I'm using cc, not GCC
and sed, not GNU sed. If someone has a clue to what I should do or what
tools I should use, please tell me. I really wanted to have HTTP support
for this client.

Best regards,

--

Miguel Rentes
/Software Engineer/

Re: Errors installing HTTP support in Subversion (Unix Tru64 5.1A)

Posted by Miguel Rentes <mi...@efacec.pt>.
Hi Joe!

It works!

I was finally able to put subversion understanding http and https
schemes =)  I installed  the new neon lib and changed CPPFLAGS as you
told me and did a configure like this:

./configure --prefix=/usr/local --without-berkeley-db
--with-apr=/usr/local --with-apr-util=/usr/local/apr
--with-neon=/usr/local --disable-neon-version-check

After that, I did a "make" and "make install (as root)" and could
finally see from a "svn --version" that I already have the http(s)
scheme enabled:

svn, version 1.4.6 (r28521)
   compiled Feb 12 2008, 14:34:12

Copyright (C) 2000-2007 CollabNet.
Subversion is open source software, see http://subversion.tigris.org/
This product includes software developed by CollabNet
(http://www.Collab.Net/).

The following repository access (RA) modules are available:

* ra_dav : Module for accessing a repository via WebDAV (DeltaV) protocol.
  - handles 'http' scheme
  - handles 'https' scheme
* ra_svn : Module for accessing a repository using the svn network protocol.
  - handles 'svn' scheme
* ra_local : Module for accessing a repository on local disk.
  - handles 'file' scheme

Thank you very much Joe!

Best regards,

Miguel Rentes

Posted by Joe Orton <jo...@manyfish.co.uk>.

Posted by Miguel Rentes <mi...@efacec.pt>.
Hi Joe,

I compiled the new neon source code (0.28.0) and got no errors! After
that I installed it and linked Subversion 1.4.6 against this new neon
version but I can't seem to make the http scheme to be recognized by
subversion after compiling and installing it:

svn, version 1.4.6 (r28521)
   compiled Feb 12 2008, 11:09:17

Copyright (C) 2000-2007 CollabNet.
Subversion is open source software, see http://subversion.tigris.org/
This product includes software developed by CollabNet
(http://www.Collab.Net/).

The following repository access (RA) modules are available:

* ra_svn : Module for accessing a repository using the svn network protocol.
  - handles 'svn' scheme
* ra_local : Module for accessing a repository on local disk.
  - handles 'file' scheme

I configured Subversion with the following command:

./configure --prefix=/usr/local --with-apr=/usr/local
--with-apr-util=/usr/local/apr --with-neon=/usr/local --without-berkeley-db

After this command I just did a "make" and a "make install (as root)". I
checked that at /usr/local/lib I do have a new libneon.a and libneon.la,
but it seems subversion is not making use of these libraries.

Can anyone point out if I'm doing something wrong? (I'm trying to
install a subversion client with http support in an Unix Compaq Tru64
5.1A server. Using the svn scheme works fine, but it would be nice to
have http scheme also working)

Thanks Joe for your help!

Best regards,

Miguel Rentes