Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@kiwi.ics.uci.edu> on 1999/04/20 07:49:45 UTC

Re: VOTE: apache-apr -> (1.4|2.0)

>>   c) Create a new "apache-N" module, import APACHE_1_3_6 as tagged
>>      from the apache_1.3 module, and patch it to bring it up to apache-apr
>>      functionality.
>
>Why not import HEAD instead?

Because we want a well-known fixed point X at which we can say
"If you need to see the history of changes before X, go to the
apache-1.3 repository."  The set of files tagged APACHE_1_3_6
need to be identical in the two repositories.  We could do it
for APACHE_1_3_7 instead, but that would require someone doing a
new release instead of working on the new repository.

The only well-known fixed points we have are releases.  Dates and other
symbolic names are usable within CVS, but hard to remember when coding
and talking to users.

....Roy