Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Ken Krugler <kk...@transpac.com> on 2010/07/08 23:35:54 UTC

FAQ for "New to Hadoop"

Hi all,

I recently hosted an "Intro to Hadoop" session at the BigDataCamp
unconference last week. I later wrote down questions from the audience
that seemed useful to other Hadoop beginners, and the compared this to
the Hadoop project FAQ at http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/FAQ

There was overlap, but not as much as I expected - the Hadoop FAQ has
more "how do I do X" versus "can I do X" or "why should I do X".

I posted these questions to http://www.scaleunlimited.com/blog/intro-to-hadoop-at-bigdatacamp
  , and would appreciate any input - e.g. questions you think should
be there, answers you think aren't very clear (though mea culpa in
advance, I jotted these down quickly so I realize they're pretty rough).

Thanks,

-- Ken

Ken Krugler
+1 530-210-6378
http://bixolabs.com
e l a s t i c   w e b   m i n i n g

Re: FAQ for "New to Hadoop"

Posted by Alex Baranau <al...@gmail.com>.
Ken,

You can also take a look at the FAQ section in the posts we publish
periodically. It started with
http://blog.sematext.com/2010/02/16/hadoop-digest-february-2010/. The
frequently asked questions are mainly retrieved from the project's user
mailing lists.

We also cover HBase (you can find posts on http://blog.sematext.com as well.

Alex Baranau
----
Sematext :: http://sematext.com/ :: Solr - Lucene - Nutch - Hadoop - HBase

Re: Help with Hadoop runtime error

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.
Do you happen to see something similar to:

10/03/17 15:47:58 WARN hdfs.DFSClient: NotReplicatedYetException sleeping
/user/perserver/data/575Gb/ps_
es_mstore_events_fact.txt retries left 4
10/03/17 15:47:58 INFO hdfs.DFSClient:
org.apache.hadoop.ipc.RemoteException:
org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.NotReplicatedYetException: Not
replicated yet:/user/perserver/data/575Gb/ps_es_mstore_events_fact.txt

Other people saw the above along with Bad connect ack error.

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.

Re: FAQ for "New to Hadoop"

Posted by Mark Kerzner <ma...@gmail.com>.