Posted to user@spark.apache.org by Sameer Tilak <ss...@live.com> on 2014/03/06 22:11:28 UTC

Pig on Spark

Hi everyone,
We are using to Pig to build our data pipeline. I came across Spork -- Pig on Spark at: https://github.com/dvryaboy/pig and not sure if it is still active.   Can someone please let me know the status of Spork or any other effort that will let us run Pig on Spark? We can significantly benefit by using Spark, but we would like to keep using the existing Pig scripts.

Re: Pig on Spark

Posted by Julien Le Dem <ju...@twitter.com>.
Hi Mayur,
Are you going to the Pig meetup this afternoon?
http://www.meetup.com/PigUser/events/160604192/
Aniket and I will be there.
We would be happy to chat about Pig-on-Spark

Re: Pig on Spark

Posted by Mayur Rustagi <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi Lin,

Re: Pig on Spark

Posted by suman bharadwaj <su...@gmail.com>.
Hey Mayur,

We use HiveColumnarLoader and XMLLoader. Are these working as well ?

Will try few things regarding porting Java MR.

Regards,
Suman Bharadwaj S

Re: Pig on Spark

Posted by Mayur Rustagi <ma...@gmail.com>.

Re: Pig on Spark

Posted by suman bharadwaj <su...@gmail.com>.

Re: Pig on Spark

Posted by Mayur Rustagi <ma...@gmail.com>.
UDF

Re: Pig on Spark

Posted by suman bharadwaj <su...@gmail.com>.
Are all the features available in PIG working in SPORK ?? Like for eg: UDFs
?

Re: Pig on Spark

Posted by Mayur Rustagi <ma...@gmail.com>.

Re: Pig on Spark

Posted by Eugen Cepoi <ce...@gmail.com>.
It depends, personally I have the opposite opinion.

IMO expressing pipelines in a functional language feels natural, you just
have to get used with the language (scala).

Testing spark jobs is easy where testing a Pig script is much harder and
not natural.

If you want a more high level language that deals with RDDs for you, you
can use spark sql
http://people.apache.org/~pwendell/catalyst-docs/sql-programming-guide.html

Of course you can express less things this way, but if you have some
complex logic I think it would make sense to write a classic spark job that
would be more robust in the long term.

Re: Pig on Spark

Posted by Mayur Rustagi <ma...@gmail.com>.
One core segment that frequently asks for systems like Pig & Hive are
analyst who want to deal with data. The key place I see pig fitting in is
getting non-developers deal with data at scale & free up developers to deal
with code, udf rather than manage day to day dataflow changes & updates.
A byproduct of this is that big data computation is made available to folks
beyond those who know what maven & sbt are :)

Mayur Rustagi
Ph: +1 (760) 203 3257
http://www.sigmoidanalytics.com
@mayur_rustagi <https://twitter.com/mayur_rustagi>

Re: Pig on Spark

Posted by Bharath Mundlapudi <mu...@gmail.com>.

Re: Pig on Spark

Posted by Michael Armbrust <mi...@databricks.com>.

Re: Pig on Spark

Re: Pig on Spark

Posted by Bharath Mundlapudi <mu...@gmail.com>.

Re: Pig on Spark

Posted by Xiangrui Meng <me...@gmail.com>.
Hi Sameer,

RE: Pig on Spark

Re: Pig on Spark

Posted by Mayur Rustagi <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi Sameer,

RE: Pig on Spark

Re: Pig on Spark

Posted by Aniket Mokashi <an...@gmail.com>.

Re: Pig on Spark

Re: Pig on Spark

Posted by lalit1303 <la...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

I have been following Aniket's spork github repository.
https://github.com/aniket486/pig
I have done all the changes mentioned in recently modified pig-spark file.

I am using:
hadoop 2.0.5 alpha
spark-0.8.1-incubating
mesos 0.16.0

##PIG variables
export *HADOOP_CONF_DIR*=$HADOOP_INSTALL/etc/hadoop
export *SPARK_YARN_APP_JAR*=/home/ubuntu/pig/pig-withouthadoop.jar
export *SPARK_JAVA_OPTS*=" -XX:+HeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryError
-XX:HeapDumpPath=/tmp/heap.dump"
export
*SPARK_JAR*=/home/ubuntu/spark/assembly/target/scala-2.9.3/spark-assembly-0.8.1-incubating-hadoop2.0.5-alpha.jar
export *SPARK_MASTER*=yarn-client
export *SPARK_HOME*=/home/ubuntu/spark
export *SPARK_JARS*=/home/ubuntu/pig/contrib/piggybank/java/piggybank.jar
export
*PIG_CLASSPATH*=${SPARK_JAR}:${SPARK_JARS}:/home/ubuntu/mesos/build/src/mesos-0.16.0.jar:/home/ubuntu/pig/pig-withouthadoop.jar
export *SPARK_PIG_JAR*=/home/ubuntu/pig/pig-withouthadoop.jar

This works fine in Mapreduce and local mode. But, while running on spark
mode I am facing follwing error. This error come after the job is submitted
and run on yarn-master.
Can you please tell me how to proceed.

###########################################error
message############################################################

*ERROR 2998*: *Unhandled internal error. class
org.apache.spark.util.InnerClosureFinder* has interface
org.objectweb.asm.ClassVisitor as super class

*java.lang.IncompatibleClassChangeError*: class
org.apache.spark.util.InnerClosureFinder has interface
org.objectweb.asm.ClassVisitor as super class
	at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(SecureClassLoader.java:142)
	at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(URLClassLoader.java:277)
	at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$000(URLClassLoader.java:73)
	at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:294)
	at
org.apache.spark.util.ClosureCleaner$.getInnerClasses(ClosureCleaner.scala:87)
	at org.apache.spark.util.ClosureCleaner$.clean(ClosureCleaner.scala:107)
	at org.apache.spark.SparkContext.clean(SparkContext.scala:970)
	at org.apache.spark.rdd.RDD.map(RDD.scala:246)
	at
org.apache.pig.backend.hadoop.executionengine.spark.converter.LoadConverter.convert(LoadConverter.java:68)
	at
org.apache.pig.backend.hadoop.executionengine.spark.converter.LoadConverter.convert(LoadConverter.java:38)
	at
org.apache.pig.backend.hadoop.executionengine.spark.SparkLauncher.physicalToRDD(SparkLauncher.java:212)
	at
org.apache.pig.backend.hadoop.executionengine.spark.SparkLauncher.physicalToRDD(SparkLauncher.java:201)
	at
org.apache.pig.backend.hadoop.executionengine.spark.SparkLauncher.physicalToRDD(SparkLauncher.java:201)
	at
org.apache.pig.backend.hadoop.executionengine.spark.SparkLauncher.launchPig(SparkLauncher.java:125)
	at org.apache.pig.PigServer.launchPlan(PigServer.java:1328)
	at org.apache.pig.PigServer.executeCompiledLogicalPlan(PigServer.java:1310)
	at org.apache.pig.PigServer.storeEx(PigServer.java:993)
	at org.apache.pig.PigServer.store(PigServer.java:957)
	at org.apache.pig.PigServer.openIterator(PigServer.java:870)
	at org.apache.pig.tools.grunt.GruntParser.processDump(GruntParser.java:729)
	at
org.apache.pig.tools.pigscript.parser.PigScriptParser.parse(PigScriptParser.java:370)
	at
org.apache.pig.tools.grunt.GruntParser.parseStopOnError(GruntParser.java:194)
	at
org.apache.pig.tools.grunt.GruntParser.parseStopOnError(GruntParser.java:170)
	at org.apache.pig.tools.grunt.Grunt.exec(Grunt.java:84)
	at org.apache.pig.Main.run(Main.java:609)
	at
	at

Re: Pig on Spark

Posted by lalit1303 <la...@sigmoidanalytics.com>.