Posted to dev@libcloud.apache.org by Eric Woods <wo...@gmail.com> on 2010/05/14 22:46:36 UTC

[libcloud] Java Skeleton Available

I've uploaded the Java skeleton to JIRA along with some Javadoc to show the
code structure: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LIBCLOUD-33

As noted earlier, we've targeted a very strong mapping between the existing
Python design and the Java implementation. Aside from Python's design being
minimal and extensible, this will make it easy to port existing adapters to
Java since it's the same structure and model. This will also provide the
same look and usage to the user of libcloud adapters for faster adoption.

Feedback is welcome and appreciated.

Thanks,
- Eric

Re: [libcloud] Java Skeleton Available

Posted by Alex Polvi <po...@cloudkick.com>.
On Sat, May 15, 2010 at 10:00 PM, Jerry Chen <je...@apache.org> wrote:

> On May 14, 2010, at 3:46 PM, Eric Woods wrote:
>
>> As noted earlier, we've targeted a very strong mapping between the existing
>> Python design and the Java implementation. Aside from Python's design being
>> minimal and extensible, this will make it easy to port existing adapters to
>> Java since it's the same structure and model. This will also provide the
>> same look and usage to the user of libcloud adapters for faster adoption.
>>
>> Feedback is welcome and appreciated.
>
> How do we reconcile the fact that for all intents and purposes, the Libcloud community is geared towards Python developers?

libcloud was definitely started as a python only project. However,
like any open source project, I do not think anyone objects to people
going above and beyond and adding to the project in new or unexpected
ways.

> I'm not opposed to a Java port of Libcloud at all, but merely questioning its placement within the same repository. From a committer's standpoint, I have far less of an ability to review, to test and to sign off on Java code than I do for Python.

I think this is the most important point. Is there anyone on the list
capable of reviewing this code? Or contributing to the driver
development? Which drivers would we support at first?

Having a java abstraction with a similar interface is worth looking
into, I am just worried it is going to require a whole new community.

Another option could be to implement a thrift[1] server in python,
then just generate a client library in any language available to
thrift.

This is a more deltacloud like approach, but you get all the benefits
of easy client generation.

Again, totally not opposed to having a whole new subproject in a
different language -- just nervous about the community building
required to do so.

-Alex

[1] http://incubator.apache.org/thrift/

--
co-founder, cloudkick.com
twitter.com/cloudkick

Re: [libcloud] Java Skeleton Available

Posted by Mohammad Nour El-Din <no...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jerry...

   I agree with you, sorry I am not a committer in this cool project but I
am watching what you are doing and I am very interested in it. Again, I
agree with you, my recommendation is to do was what is done with Logging
which is creating different sub-projects for each version of Libcloud based
on the language used.

--
Thanks
- Mohammad Nour

professional. There is no reasonable excuse for doing anything less than
your best."

Re: [libcloud] Java Skeleton Available

Posted by Adrian Cole <fe...@gmail.com>.
I'd ask the same question, and also ask how this gets reconciled with the
incubator proposal of libcloud itself.  The original charter clearly stated
this was a project for the python community, and that it seems to have
served well.  Based on this behavior, it seems that all you need to do to
make sweeping changes in a project is to submit a single patch supporting
your company's cloud.  When exactly did libcloud turn into a multi-language
project?  I don't recall or see a "single" request from the java community
apart from IBM (eric's ) after they submitted a patch to support their
cloud.  On the other hand, "the" java library for cloud computing has had
continuous increase in committers, activity, and adoption, not to mention
proven ability to convert community's requests into code.  Where's the
transparent need?

Regards,
Adrian
Founder jclouds