Posted to dev@roller.apache.org by françois <fc...@alteca.fr> on 2010/04/30 17:37:40 UTC

Debugging Roller on NetBeans

Hi,
I'm developing on Apache Roller Sources with NetBeans 6.8.
When I try to debug my project, I get this message :
"Script file nbproject/ide-targets.xml cannot be found"
This file is missing. How can I get a copy or generate it ?
Thanks,
François

Re: Debugging Roller on NetBeans

Posted by Dave <sn...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 11:37 AM, françois <fc...@alteca.fr> wrote:
> I'm developing on Apache Roller Sources with NetBeans 6.8.
> When I try to debug my project, I get this message :
> "Script file nbproject/ide-targets.xml cannot be found"
> This file is missing. How can I get a copy or generate it ?

Because Roller uses a custom Ant script, it is considered to be a
"free form" project in Netbeans and therefore you must add custom Ant
XML code to do basic functions like "debug my project." There is very
little documentation on how to write such custom Ant code.

I was able to get some of the Netbeans debugging stuff working for
unit tests by writing one of those IDE target files that launches the
Derby DB, sets up the Roller classpath and runs a unit tests in the
debugger -- but it was not easy. I think some of the code I wrote is
in the "custom" folder of the Roller 4.0.1 source.

My advice to you for Roller 4 debugging is build Roller, deploy
Roller's build/webapp directory to Tomcat, start Tomcat in debug mode
and then use Netbeans to "attach" to Tomcat. You should then be able
to set break points in Roller code, etc.

In Roller 5 we have moved from Ant "free form" to Maven and this
should make IDE debugging a little easier in Netbeans. Netbeans 6.8
has very nice Maven support.

- Dave