Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by "Ralf S. Engelschall" <rs...@engelschall.com> on 1999/03/10 12:10:01 UTC

Re: config/3956: Apache's configure script break under new versions of grep

The following reply was made to PR config/3956; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Ralf S. Engelschall" <rs...@engelschall.com>
To: apbugs@apache.org
Cc:  Subject: Re: config/3956: Apache's configure script break under new versions of grep
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 12:08:27 +0100

 In article <19...@hyperreal.org> you wrote:

 >>Environment:
 > Linux 2.0.36, glibc 2.0.7u intel x86
 > When using gnu grep beyond version 2.2 such as the current stable
 > version (2.3), the configure script with Apache will break.  No
 > modules are recognized as valid and the configure script will not
 > complete.
 >>How-To-Repeat:
 > Just run ./configure --prefix=usr/local/apache using grep 2.3
 > and it'll fail.
 >>Fix:
 > Not really but if you find a fix, please email me.

 I've tried this and I cannot reproduce this failure:

 | :> which grep
 | /tmp/grep
 | rse@en1:/e/apache/SRC/apache-1.3
 | :> /tmp/grep -V
 | grep (GNU grep) 2.3
 |
 | Copyright (C) 1988, 1992-1998, 1999 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
 | This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO
 | warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
 |
 | rse@en1:/e/apache/SRC/apache-1.3
 | :> ./config.status
 | Configuring for Apache, Version 1.3.5-dev
 |  + using installation path layout: GNU (config.layout)
 | Creating Makefile
 | Creating Configuration.apaci in src
 | Creating Makefile in src
 |  + configured for FreeBSD 3.1 platform
 |  + setting C pre-processor to cc -E
 |  + checking for system header files
 |  + using custom target name: apache
 |  + adding selected modules
 |     o rewrite_module uses ConfigStart/End
 |       enabling DBM support for mod_rewrite
 |     o dbm_auth_module uses ConfigStart/End
 |     o db_auth_module uses ConfigStart/End
 |       using Berkeley-DB/1.x for mod_auth_db (-lc)
 |  + enabling generation of Apache core as DSO
 |  + doing sanity check on compiler and options
 | Creating Makefile in src/support
 | Creating Makefile in src/main
 | Creating Makefile in src/ap
 | Creating Makefile in src/regex
 | Creating Makefile in src/os/unix
 | Creating Makefile in src/modules/experimental
 | Creating Makefile in src/modules/standard
 | Creating Makefile in src/modules/proxy
 | Creating Makefile in src/modules/example

 So it seems like your vendor's grep installation is broken.  At least also
 from the grep usages in our scripts I cannot image why it should fail.

                                        Ralf S. Engelschall
                                        rse@engelschall.com
                                        www.engelschall.com