Posted to dev@shindig.apache.org by Dan Bentley <db...@google.com> on 2008/07/09 22:59:13 UTC

A zone!

http://shindig.zones.apache.org:8080/gadgets/files/samplecontainer/samplecontainer.html

We have a zone, and it works as an OpenSolaris box.

I've installed mvn and set up shindig once.

Now it's time to get it to be something constant.

Chris Chabot mentioned a nightly build.  That's an awesome idea and my first
priority.  Do people have preferences on what form they want that to take?
Programs they like for maintaining it (or just rolling my own in
shell/python)?  And what purpose should it be?  An absolutely-latest build?
Or a blessed-good build that is updated less frequently?  Or both, on
different ports.  Is it more of a "oh, hey, running shindig", or a version
for people to be developing against that it's fine if it's down a lot?

If you want an account, let me know.  It's a pretty barebones install of
solaris, and the PATH you get is absolutely barren to begin with.  But, as
the saying goes, there's no place like zone.

-Dan

Re: A zone!

Posted by Kevin Brown <et...@google.com>.
On Wed, Jul 9, 2008 at 1:59 PM, Dan Bentley <db...@google.com> wrote:

> http://shindig.zones.apache.org:8080/gadgets/files/samplecontainer/samplecontainer.html
>
> We have a zone, and it works as an OpenSolaris box.
>
> I've installed mvn and set up shindig once.
>
> Now it's time to get it to be something constant.
>
> Chris Chabot mentioned a nightly build.  That's an awesome idea and my
> first
> priority.  Do people have preferences on what form they want that to take?
> Programs they like for maintaining it (or just rolling my own in
> shell/python)?  And what purpose should it be?  An absolutely-latest build?
> Or a blessed-good build that is updated less frequently?  Or both, on
> different ports.  Is it more of a "oh, hey, running shindig", or a version
> for people to be developing against that it's fine if it's down a lot?

Dave Smith and friends already set up a continuous build (see shindig
archives) for the Java code. We just have to copy the configuration over
(it's already checked in to svn).

There's really no equivalent for the PHP code, though a cron job that ran
the unit tests would probably be sufficient.

If you want an account, let me know.  It's a pretty barebones install of
> solaris, and the PATH you get is absolutely barren to begin with.  But, as
> the saying goes, there's no place like zone.

We should get accounts set up for all active committers.

Thanks for staying on this!

Re: A zone!

Posted by Brian Eaton <be...@google.com>.
We took this down because it wasn't using a special domain to render
gadgets.  For a few minutes we had an XSS vulnerability on apache.org.

Maybe we need amodules.com.

Re: A zone!

Posted by John Panzer <jp...@google.com>.

Re: A zone!

Posted by Chris Chabot <ch...@xs4all.nl>.
After 3 months i would have almost forgotten about it, great news it
finally came through!

Now i have to admit my first thought isn't about the shindig demo but
about setting up a Wiki! How long have we been clamoring for a place
where we could put our documentation and how often haven't we said on
this list "if only we have a wiki...".

Whatever our plans are, i vote +1e10 to make that the top priority :)

Secondary idea, we also very often have talked about setting up a
proper website, something other then editing a huge single html
file... i think thats probably combinable with the wiki plan?

As far as the live shindig version goes, i am +1 having a daily build,
purely because it adds another sanity check to catching build errors,
errors in our samples etc ... that way they would be more likely to be
noticed. (Plus if we output the build and/or error log to the website
you could see exactly what was happening to it too).

If it's a daily checkout and rebuild, there is no reason to be down a
lot.. just build the new version and only switch to the new build if
it was successful, that way worst case you would just not have a
somewhat outdated live version, and some error logs to check out .. i
don't see the reason anything would have to lead to it being down

Oh do we also want to put a live demo of the PHP version on the site
too? It would save me from always having to link to my own private
servers anyhow :)

	-- Chris