Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Andrew Hogue <ho...@cs.yorku.ca> on 2002/11/18 15:51:38 UTC

Unknown DAV provider

Hi,

This is my first time trying to setup an SVN server on my linux pc.  I
grabbed all of the source code necessary, compiled and installed it which
worked like clockwork... nice and easy... ;)   But, when I go to configure
the server, it says in the install file to add the following to the
httpd.conf file:

<Location /svn/repos>
 	DAV svn
        SVNPath /absolute/path/to/repository
</Location>

So, I add the following:
<Location /svn/repos>
        DAV svn
        SVNPath /home/hogue/myrepos
</Location>

but, when I try to start the apache daemon, it gives an error that says
Unknown DAV provider: svn

Have I forgotten to do something?

Thanks,

-- Andrew

Re: Unknown DAV provider

Posted by Philip Martin <ph...@codematters.co.uk>.
brane@xbc.nu writes:

> > > Error:
> > > svn: RA layer request failed
> > > svn: PROPFIND of /: 405 Method Not Allowed
>
> Isn't this something mod_dav_svn could detect, and return a more user-friendly
> error message?

This is issue 946.

--
Philip Martin

Re: Unknown DAV provider

Posted by cm...@collab.net.
brane@xbc.nu writes:

> > I hit this error (on Linux) when I created the repository as the unix
> > user "dlr", but was running my httpd daemon as the unix user "nobody"
> > (who had no unix permissions allowing access to the repository).
>
> Isn't this something mod_dav_svn could detect, and return a more
> user-friendly error message? I got the impression that most people
> hit this problem when setting up SVN+Apache for the first time.

Issue #900 sorta addresses this, but not really.  Basically,
svn_repos_open() needs to specifically handle some of the more common
error cases, and return them back to its caller in a documented
fashion.  That way both svn_ra_local__split_URL() and mod_dav_svn's
repository opening code could return a more intelligent error.

Re: Unknown DAV provider

Posted by br...@xbc.nu.
Quoting Daniel Rall <dl...@finemaltcoding.com>:

> Andrew Hogue <ho...@cs.yorku.ca> writes:
>
> > Okay, so I got rid of everything, apache and svn, then I recompiled both
> > of them with everything properly enabled as per the INSTALL file, this
> > seemed to help, maybe last time I forgot a flag or something...
> >
> > But, not everything is okay, I try to check something out of the
> > repository and I get the following error:
> >
> > I tried:
> > svn co http://localhost/svn/repos wc
> >
> > Error:
> > svn: RA layer request failed
> > svn: PROPFIND of /: 405 Method Not Allowed
> >
> > What could this error mean?
>
> The user which your httpd process runs as must have both read and
> write access across your entire Subversion repository.
>
> I hit this error (on Linux) when I created the repository as the unix
> user "dlr", but was running my httpd daemon as the unix user "nobody"
> (who had no unix permissions allowing access to the repository).

Isn't this something mod_dav_svn could detect, and return a more user-friendly
error message? I got the impression that most people hit this problem when
setting up SVN+Apache for the first time.

Of course, the instructions in INSTALL are very explicit, so maybe we should
just tell people to learn to read instead. :-)

    Brane

Re: Unknown DAV provider

Posted by Swen Thuemmler <sw...@mediaways.net>.
On Tue, Nov 19, 2002 at 05:52:57PM -0500, Andrew Hogue wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> I changed the user to be my own account just to check if that was the case
> and I still get the same error message.
>
> I chmod -R a+rw to the repository file and it still gives the same
> message.
>
> Is there anything else to check?

Hmm, I just had to deal with the same kind of error. A checkout from a remote
linux box did work, but not from the solaris system (the system with the
apache). Strangely enough, updating an already checked out repository was possible.
After some digging, the problem turned out to be a password longer than
8 chars. Deep in the apr routines, the getpass() function is called, which under
solaris only uses 8 characters (or, more precisely, PASS_MAX), but under linux
more.

Hope this helps.

--Swen

Re: Unknown DAV provider

Posted by Andrew Hogue <ho...@cs.yorku.ca>.
Hi again,

I changed the user to be my own account just to check if that was the case
and I still get the same error message.

I chmod -R a+rw to the repository file and it still gives the same
message.

Is there anything else to check?

Thanks

-- Andrew

Re: Unknown DAV provider

Posted by Daniel Rall <dl...@finemaltcoding.com>.

Re: Unknown DAV provider

Posted by Andrew Hogue <ho...@cs.yorku.ca>.
Hi again,

Thanks for your reply, it gave me something to look for.

Okay, so I got rid of everything, apache and svn, then I recompiled both
of them with everything properly enabled as per the INSTALL file, this
seemed to help, maybe last time I forgot a flag or something...

But, not everything is okay, I try to check something out of the
repository and I get the following error:

I tried:
svn co http://localhost/svn/repos wc

Error:
svn: RA layer request failed
svn: PROPFIND of /: 405 Method Not Allowed

What could this error mean?

Thanks again,

-- Andrew

Re: Unknown DAV provider