Posted to ojb-user@db.apache.org by "Martin I. Levi" <ml...@labtie.mmt.upc.es> on 2004/06/21 14:36:41 UTC

ODMG documentation?

Hi,

Can anybody tell me which is/are the most complete source/s of ODMG
documentation?
What I want to know is how to make complex (real-life!) querys through
ODMG.

Thanks in advance!

--
Saludos,

Martin I. Levi

Centre Tecnològic de Transferenciència de Calor
Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya
www.cttc.upc.edu

Re: ODMG documentation?

Posted by Thomas Dudziak <to...@first.fhg.de>.
Martin I. Levi wrote:

> ok, but is there any document telling which functions are supported ?
> And anyway do you encourage using OQL on OJB ?
> I really would appreciate your opinion on this subject.

I have had a glance at the grammar, and it seems that most if not all of
the OQL syntax is supported. Only a few functions seem to be missing
(functions are something like 'count()' and the like). Other than that
it is stable and works nicely. Also, we'll add the missing features in
the, well, not so far future (thus making OJB fully OQL 3.0 compliant).

So if you consider ODMG as your API, then you should go ahead and use
it. And if you have a query that currently does not work, you can always
create a workaround with PB-style queries until the OQL implementation
is fully OQL 3.0 compliant.

You're right, though. We should put together some documentation on the
usage and available functions of OQL, especially because OQL is also
usable from PB.

Tom

Re: ODMG documentation?

Posted by "Martin I. Levi" <ml...@labtie.mmt.upc.es>.

Re: ODMG documentation?

Posted by Steve Linabery <sl...@worldcycling.com>.
I second that. I have been using a subset of OQL selected through trial
and error.

Last time I checked the ojb website, there was no documentation on what
subset of OQL was provided by ojb...unless you count reading the source
code!

On Tue, 2004-06-22 at 03:34, Martin I. Levi wrote:
> ok, but is there any document telling which functions are supported ?
> And anyway do you encourage using OQL on OJB ?
> I really would appreciate your opinion on this subject.
>
> On Mon, 2004-06-21 at 15:36, Thomas Dudziak wrote:
>
> > There is a book about ODMG. Also a few tutorials are on the web like:
> >
> > http://www.db.ucsd.edu/People/michalis/notes/O2/OQLTutorial.htm
> >
> > Please note that there are some missing parts in the OQL implementation
> > of OJB, most notably some functions are currently not supported.
> >
> > Tom

Steve Linabery

This electronic message transmission contains information from the sender's organization that may be proprietary, confidential and/or privileged. The information is intended only for the use of the individual(s) or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient, be aware that any disclosure, copying or distribution or use of the contents of this information is prohibited. If you have received this electronic transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately by replying to the address listed in the "From:"

Re: ODMG documentation?

Posted by Thomas Dudziak <to...@first.fhg.de>.

Re: ODMG documentation?

Posted by "Martin I. Levi" <ml...@labtie.mmt.upc.es>.
I searched for ODMG before and i didn't find anything "complete" perhaps
OQL would do the trick.

Dank U wel!

Re: ODMG documentation?