Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Cogumelos Maravilha <co...@sapo.pt> on 2017/09/06 18:36:39 UTC

Re: C* 3 node issue -Urgent

After insert a new node we should:

ALTER KEYSPACE system_auth WITH REPLICATION = { 'class' : ...
'replication_factor' : x };

x = number of nodes in dc

The default user and password should work:
-u cassandra -p cassandra

Cheers.

Re: C* 3 node issue -Urgent

Posted by Ben Bromhead <be...@instaclustr.com>.
Just to clarify that behaviour. QUORUM only applies to the default
superuser, subsequent superusers you create later on are still only queried
at LOCAL_ONE. E.g.

protected static ConsistencyLevel consistencyForRole(String role)
{
    if (role.equals(DEFAULT_SUPERUSER_NAME))
        return ConsistencyLevel.QUORUM;
    else
        return ConsistencyLevel.LOCAL_ONE;
}

Despite the fact it suggests consistency for a given role... the function
actually gets passed the username not the role (role lookup happens after
authentication iirc).

Best practices would suggest you change the default superuser password to
some long random password and throw it away and use other superuser
accounts. The Cassandra user is only their to bootstrap auth and nothing
else.

If your RF for the system auth table is very high it will not make it
difficult to login, just to change your password :)

On Wed, 6 Sep 2017 at 11:43 Jeff Jirsa <jj...@gmail.com> wrote:

> More explicitly - if you have 60 nodes, setting rf=60 will likely make it
> very difficult for you to log in as a superuser.
>
> --
> Jeff Jirsa
>

> > On Sep 6, 2017, at 11:40 AM, Jon Haddad <jo...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > I wouldn’t worry about being meticulous about keeping RF = N as the
> cluster grows.  If you had 60 nodes and your auth data was only on 9 you’d
> be completely fine.
> >
> >> On Sep 6, 2017, at 11:36 AM, Cogumelos Maravilha <
> cogumelosmaravilha@sapo.pt> wrote:
> >>
> >> After insert a new node we should:
> >>
> >> ALTER KEYSPACE system_auth WITH REPLICATION = { 'class' : ...
> >> 'replication_factor' : x };
> >>
> >> x = number of nodes in dc
> >>
> >> The default user and password should work:
> >> -u cassandra -p cassandra
> >>
> >> Cheers.

Ben Bromhead
CTO | Instaclustr <https://www.instaclustr.com/>
+1 650 284 9692
Managed Cassandra / Spark on AWS, Azure and Softlayer

Re: C* 3 node issue -Urgent

Posted by Jeff Jirsa <jj...@gmail.com>.

Re: C* 3 node issue -Urgent

Posted by Jon Haddad <jo...@gmail.com>.