Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by James Smith <ja...@discs.uk.com> on 2006/05/30 11:28:59 UTC

OT: Postfix problem I am hoping you can help with

I am trying to get out Postfix server to send AOL mail to our ISP rather
than directly to AOL as they insist on bouncing our mail if we send
directly.

I am editing the transport files with the following lines...

aol.com         smtp:smtp.nildram.co.uk
.aol.com        smtp:smtp.nildram.co.uk
gmail.com       smtp:smtp.nildram.co.uk

With the gmail one there so I can test it is working, unfortunately after a
"postfix restart" it is still sending the mail directly.

I am also a little concerned that the transport file has the following at
the top of it...

#
# MTA Managment Transport List;
#
# Please do NOT edit it manually;
#

So where am I supposed to edit it?

Can anyone help as this is driving me crazy.

--
Jay

Re: OT: Postfix problem I am hoping you can help with

Posted by Thomas Schlosser <ts...@googlemail.com>.
Did you try to use [ ] around the domain: ":[smtp.nildram.co.uk]"? This
prevents that postfix looks up MX for the given host but uses the target
directly.
Maybe you should have a deeper look into the log (optionally raise verbose
level).

Thomas

RE: Postfix problem I am hoping you can help with

Posted by Greg Allen <sa...@floridacpu.com>.
The format is correct, although I use IP address myself.

So, I would do like this.

	aol.com	     smtp:192.168.5.3

You must also specify AOL as a domain you accept in the 'relay_domains'
(main.cf file)

You must also add the following line (or similar) to main.cf

	transport_maps = hash/etc/postfix/transport

Remember, to make transport work you must also do a 'postmap' after you edit
the file.

	postmap /etc/postfix/transport

That creates the actual DB file that postfix can use.

Then restart postfix.