Posted to dev@couchdb.apache.org by Robert Newson <rn...@apache.org> on 2013/05/27 17:42:34 UTC

[VOTE] Git Commit Messages

Hi All,

Rather than manually maintaining the NEWS and CHANGES files I'd like
to save us time by using the output of git log as our release notes
after 1.3.1.

To make this work we'll need to be better at commit messages. The de
facto standard for git commit messages is described at
http://tbaggery.com/2008/04/19/a-note-about-git-commit-messages.html
and I would like us all to commit to using these guidelines, with some
clarifications:

1) The last line of the commit should mention the JIRA ticket.
2)  The first line does *not* end with punctuation.

Here's a good, albeit sarcastic, example;

--
Report name of rejected attachment

Some users make requests from inside a black box with a blindfold on
and their eyes closed and are thus sometimes unaware of the names of
their own attachments. Let's help these people.

BugzID: 17669
--

The first line of each log between releases will form the release notes.

I'd like to vote on two questions;

1) That we adopt the git commit message guidelines above.
2) That we delete NEWS/CHANGES from master before the next release after 1.3.1.

The voting rules are lazy consensus with a 72 hour waiting period. You
do not have to vote if you agree, though you are welcome to do so. If
you do vote against I encourage you to include a constructive reason
or suggest an alternative.

B.

Re: [VOTE] Git Commit Messages

Posted by Adam Kocoloski <ko...@apache.org>.
On May 27, 2013, at 11:42 AM, Robert Newson <rn...@apache.org> wrote:

> 1) That we adopt the git commit message guidelines above.

+1.  Consistent, well-written, thorough commit messages are one of the better gifts we can give to future developers of CouchDB.

> 2) That we delete NEWS/CHANGES from master before the next release after 1.3.1.

Abstaining here.  I'm sure there's a better way to generate release notes than what we do today.  I don't feel confident to say whether we have an alternative in place in time for 1.3.1.

Adam

Re: [VOTE] Git Commit Messages

Posted by Klaus Trainer <kl...@posteo.de>.
I'm voting +1 on both questions.

Re: [VOTE] Git Commit Messages

Posted by Russell Branca <ch...@apache.org>.
I'm a big +1 to proposal 1) for better and more structured commit messages.
I'm -1 to the addition of adding the JIRA ticket in the message itself, as
that should be 50 characters or less, and you can have the ticket id in the
full message body and also in the original topic branch name.

As for proposal 2), I think that anything we can do to simplify creation of
releases is a good direction to go in. I do wonder if generating a release
from the commit log requires us to change our approach to commits in the
master branch. Should every commit that lands in master be a single commit
that is a fully squashed topic branch corresponding to a JIRA ticket? It
seems potentially problematic to require a direct mapping between every
commit and release note line items. Overall I like the idea of automating
release notes as much as possible.

-Russell

Re: [VOTE] Git Commit Messages

Posted by Robert Newson <rn...@apache.org>.
Benoit,

Re: [VOTE] Git Commit Messages

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Git Commit Messages

Posted by Alexander Shorin <kx...@gmail.com>.
Good points, +1
--
,,,^..^,,,

Re: [VOTE] Git Commit Messages

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.
+1

Re: [VOTE] Git Commit Messages

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.
Oh well. No harm, no foul. The important thing is that we're making
progress and that the right work is happening. There's no indication on
this thread that anyone thinks moving NEWS and CHANGES to docs/ is a bad,
idea, and a good indication that we need to have more of a discussion about
how to maintain the actual release notes. So everything fine. :)

(FWIW, I agree with you. We should not wipe out old changelogs. They are
valuable. And the Git commit messages for that period are going to be very
poor, and not at all a good replacement.)

--
NS

Re: [VOTE] Git Commit Messages

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Git Commit Messages

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.

--
NS

Re: [VOTE] Git Commit Messages

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Git Commit Messages

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.

--
NS

Re: [VOTE] Git Commit Messages

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Git Commit Messages

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.

--
NS

Re: [VOTE] Git Commit Messages

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Git Commit Messages

Posted by Dirkjan Ochtman <di...@ochtman.nl>.

Re: [VOTE] Git Commit Messages

Posted by Randall Leeds <ra...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 1:20 AM, Dirkjan Ochtman <di...@ochtman.nl> wrote:
> On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 10:10 AM, Robert Newson <rn...@apache.org> wrote:
>> 1) We're all for including the JIRA ticket, for traceability, the
>> question I have is why put that in the summary line?
>
> Because it makes things easier for people trawling through high-level
> commit logs (e.g. me when I start to edit change logs for the release,
> but also non-committer devs following our Github repo etc.).

COUCHDB-* is still in the full commit message.
I think the two of us can devise a merge procedure that will make this
easier to manage for committers.
We also have JIRA, on which people can always subscribe to bugs.

Therefore, I'm with rnewson on wanting the full 50 characters for the summary.

+1 on the message format
+1 on moving CHANGES/NEWS to the docs on master

>> 2) There might be a classification scheme that makes sense but, since
>> we agree the present one doesn't, can we ditch it until someone
>> proposes a better one?
>
> Fine with me.

+1

Re: [VOTE] Git Commit Messages

Posted by Dirkjan Ochtman <di...@ochtman.nl>.
On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 10:10 AM, Robert Newson <rn...@apache.org> wrote:
> 1) We're all for including the JIRA ticket, for traceability, the
> question I have is why put that in the summary line?

Because it makes things easier for people trawling through high-level
commit logs (e.g. me when I start to edit change logs for the release,
but also non-committer devs following our Github repo etc.).

> 2) There might be a classification scheme that makes sense but, since
> we agree the present one doesn't, can we ditch it until someone
> proposes a better one?

Fine with me.

Cheers,

Dirkjan