Posted to hdfs-user@hadoop.apache.org by Chris Embree <ce...@gmail.com> on 2013/01/22 20:24:40 UTC

Where do/should .jar files live?

Hi List,

This should be a simple question, I think.  Disclosure, I am not a java
developer. ;)

We're getting ready to build our Dev and Prod clusters. I'm pretty
comfortable with HDFS and how it sits atop several local file systems on
multiple servers.  I'm fairly comfortable with the concept of Map/Reduce
and why it's cool and we want it.

Now for the question.  Where should my developers, put and store their jar
files?  Or asked another way, what's the best entry point for submitting
jobs?

We have separate physical systems for NN, Checkpoint Node (formerly 2nn),
Job Tracker and Standby NN.  Should I run from the JT node? Do I keep all
of my finished .jar's on the JT local file system?
Or should I expect that jobs will be run via Oozie?  Do I put jars on the
local Oozie FS?

Thanks in advance.
Chris

Re: Where do/should .jar files live?

Posted by Hemanth Yamijala <yh...@thoughtworks.com>.
On top of what Bejoy said, just wanted to add that when you submit a job to
Hadoop using the hadoop jar command, the jars which you reference in the
command on the edge/client node will be picked up by Hadoop and made
available to the cluster nodes where the mappers and reducers run.

Thanks
Hemanth

Posted by Hemanth Yamijala <yh...@thoughtworks.com>.

Posted by Hemanth Yamijala <yh...@thoughtworks.com>.