Posted to ruleqa@spamassassin.apache.org by Jari Fredriksson <ja...@iki.fi> on 2018/08/26 06:53:19 UTC

net-darxus: URIBL_BLOCKED

Something in darxus infra is wrong.

This saturdays mass check shows lots of URIBL_BLOCKED for it.

br. jarif

Re: net-darxus: URIBL_BLOCKED

Posted by Dave Warren <dw...@thedave.ca>.

On Sun, Aug 26, 2018, at 14:23, Benny Pedersen wrote:
> Kevin A. McGrail skrev den 2018-08-26 21:56:
> > I see no reason to disable it.  They meet the free for some parameters
> > and the URIBL blocked rule exists to let admins know they are being
> > blocked.
>
> who will hack spamassassin to use memcache for uribl and rbl ?
>
> it cant be right masscheckers need to pay for there work

It could simply be a misconfiguration by a masschecker -- Perhaps someone switched to 1.1.1.1 or similar without considering the consequences?

When I was running a reasonably large masscheck environment I set up a dedicated unbound as a DNS resolve+cache and set a high minimum TTL of several hours so that no one query would need to be repeated for the duration of a masscheck run. While this configuration would definitely not make sense on a production mail server, in the context of a masscheck we're working with messages that are days to months old and only re-checking once a week so there is no negative impact.

I didn't keep any of the statistics but I recall getting 50%-80% cache hit ratios (but this includes NS and other records that wouldn't count against DNSBL metrics), so this kept me well below any DNSBL's free tier limitations.

Even if masschecking does take you over the limit, I would suggest having the masschecker reach out to the DNSBL in question and request free access. If a DNSBL does not want to work with SpamAssassin's masscheckers then (personally) I would strongly consider dropping them from SpamAssassin completely only at that time.

Re: net-darxus: URIBL_BLOCKED

Posted by Benny Pedersen <me...@junc.eu>.
Kevin A. McGrail skrev den 2018-08-26 21:56:
> I see no reason to disable it.  They meet the free for some parameters
> and the URIBL blocked rule exists to let admins know they are being
> blocked.

who will hack spamassassin to use memcache for uribl and rbl ?

it cant be right masscheckers need to pay for there work

> This is just a situation where a mass checker has someone got a
> problem.

underlaying problem is marketing, knowing more is dns miss use

Re: net-darxus: URIBL_BLOCKED

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <km...@apache.org>.

--
Kevin A. McGrail
VP Fundraising, Apache Software Foundation

Re: net-darxus: URIBL_BLOCKED

Posted by Benny Pedersen <me...@junc.eu>.