Posted to dev@hive.apache.org by Thejas Nair <th...@gmail.com> on 2015/05/01 22:53:24 UTC

[DISCUSS] Allow any jira user to assign HIVE bugs to them self

I am not sure why a user needs to ask to be added as a contributor in
HIVE jira to be able to assign jiras to themselves. I don't see it
adding any value. Also the jira ADMIN UI for adding this is usually
flaky.

I think we should let any jira users assign the bugs to them self.
Looks like adding jira-users group to contributions would do it.

Thoughts ?

Thanks,
Thejas

Re: Fwd: [DISCUSS] Allow any jira user to assign HIVE bugs to them self

Posted by Thejas Nair <th...@gmail.com>.
I made the change to add jira-users to the contributors group a few hours back.

Posted by Lefty Leverenz <le...@gmail.com>.
Thank you for raising these points about the ICLA, Sushanth.  I'm looking
forward to the discussion in another thread.

-- Lefty

Posted by Sushanth Sowmyan <kh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Thejas Nair <th...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sushanth Sowmyan <kh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Thejas Nair <th...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Carl Steinbach <cw...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Lefty Leverenz <le...@gmail.com>.
Sure, go for it.

Posted by Thejas Nair <th...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Lefty Leverenz <le...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sushanth Sowmyan <kh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Thejas Nair <th...@gmail.com>.

Re: [DISCUSS] Allow any jira user to assign HIVE bugs to them self

Posted by Thejas Nair <th...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, May 2, 2015 at 1:18 PM, Lefty Leverenz <le...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Interesting idea, Thejas.
>
>    1. What is jira-users group?  Does everyone in the group have an ASF
>    JIRA account?

jira-users : Typically contains every JIRA user in your system.

As per:
https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Managing+Groups

Yes, that should be everyone with ASF jira account.

>    2. What privileges does a contributor get, other than being able to
>    assign jiras to themselves?  (Assigning jiras to someone else?  Changing
>    the status/resolution/fix version?  Other things?)
AFAIK, All of the above.
ie everything that someone who is not an admin can do.

>    3. How many Hive JIRA admins do we have?  Do we need more?  Should the
>    wiki discuss JIRA admins in "How to Contribute"?

This is current list of JIRA admins. I think any committer who wants
to be an admin should be able to request another admin to be given
access.
Admin rights are crucial for going through some of the steps in
creating a new release.

Alan Gates
Amareshwari Sriramadasu
Ashish Thusoo
Ashutosh Chauhan
Brock Noland
Carl Steinbach
Edward Capriolo
Gang Tim Liu
Harish Butani
He Yongqiang
Joydeep Sen Sarma
Kevin Wilfong
Lefty Leverenz
Namit Jain
Navis
Ning Zhang
Ning Zhang
Owen O'Malley
Raghotham Murthy
Sergey Shelukhin
Siying Dong
Sushanth Sowmyan
Thejas M Nair
Vikram Dixit K
Xuefu Zhang

Re: [DISCUSS] Allow any jira user to assign HIVE bugs to them self

Posted by Lefty Leverenz <le...@gmail.com>.
Interesting idea, Thejas.

Posted by Ashutosh Chauhan <ha...@apache.org>.
yeah.. make sense. No one need to ask for 'permission' to work on an issue.

Posted by Szehon Ho <sz...@cloudera.com>.