Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by "Weir, Michael" <Mi...@cognos.com> on 2004/10/13 15:19:50 UTC

Encrypted indexes

We need to have index files that can't be reverse engineered, etc. An
obvious approach would be to write a 'FSEncryptedDirectory' class, but
sounds like a performance killer.

Does anyone have experience in making an index secure?

Thanks for any help,
Michael Weir

       This message may contain privileged and/or confidential information.  If you have received this e-mail in error or are not the intended recipient, you may not use, copy, disseminate or distribute it; do not open any attachments, delete it immediately from your system and notify the sender promptly by e-mail that you have done so.  Thank you.

Re: Encrypted indexes

Posted by Cheolgoo Kang <ap...@gmail.com>.
I think it's possible to make a field encrypted by an symmetric encryption
algorithms just the same as the compressed field and algorithms such like
DES can be used with little performance loss.

If the ability to block reverse engineering is critical, you should use PKI
and would result more and more performance loss than those symmectic
methods.

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 15:33:53 +0200, petite_abeille
<pe...@mac.com> wrote:

> On Oct 13, 2004, at 15:26, Nader Henein wrote:
>
> > Well, are you "storing" any data for retrieval from the index, because
> > you could encrypt the actual data and then encrypt the search string
> > public key style.
>
> Alternatively, write your index to an encrypted volume... something
> along the line of FileVault and PGP Disk [1] [2].
>
> PA.
>
> [1] http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/filevault/
> [2] http://www.pgp.com/products/desktop/index.html

Cheolgoo, Kang

Re: Encrypted indexes

Posted by petite_abeille <pe...@mac.com>.

Re: Encrypted indexes

Posted by Nader Henein <ns...@bayt.net>.
Well, are you "storing" any data for retrieval from the index, because
you could encrypt the actual data and then encrypt the search string
public key style.

Nader Henein