Posted to user@vcl.apache.org by William Robinson <wr...@exchange.clemson.edu> on 2012/07/11 19:29:28 UTC

can't complete reservation

hello all,

i've successfully created a base image and have its privileges configured for
base users.  i'm trying to create a reservation, but vcl always says the
requested time is not available even though there are no other reservations
configured and the time grid is entirely green.  could this be an issue with the
image itself?  log doesn't seem to indicate where the problem may lie. TIA.

--

will

Re: can't complete reservation

Posted by William Robinson <wr...@exchange.clemson.edu>.
thanks all,

i think i am on to something.  it turns out i underestimated the number of
check-ins the management node does, and i did not go back nearly far enough to
catch the issue (i had a 2 hour gap before i could troubleshoot).  the logs show
the vm not responding to pings and they also show the public ip not getting set
correctly.  apparently, i have a typo in the mysql database that i need to track
down.

will

Posted by Josh Thompson <jo...@ncsu.edu>.

On Wednesday, July 11, 2012 1:51:17 PM William Robinson wrote:
> the image is loaded on a vm (though it is not currently powered on) and it
> is associated with a virtual host. i have checked the specs of the
> computers and of the images.  i did notice, however, that the advanced
> options of the image seem to revert back to default after pressing "confirm
> changes".  this is what led me to think that it may be a problem with the
> image.
>
> will
>
> On 07/11/2012 01:43 PM, Michael Jinks wrote:
> > Mistake we often make: Is the image loaded on at least one virtual
> > computer, and is that computer associated with a virtual host in the
> > list on the Virtual Hosts page?
> >
> > On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 01:29:28PM -0400, William Robinson wrote:
> >> hello all,
> >>
> >> i've successfully created a base image and have its privileges configured
> >> for base users.  i'm trying to create a reservation, but vcl always says
> >> the requested time is not available even though there are no other
> >> reservations configured and the time grid is entirely green.  could this
> >> be an issue with the image itself?  log doesn't seem to indicate where
> >> the problem may lie. TIA.
> >>

> >> will
- --
- -------------------------------
Josh Thompson
VCL Developer
North Carolina State University

my GPG/PGP key can be found at pgp.mit.edu

Re: can't complete reservation

Posted by William Robinson <wr...@exchange.clemson.edu>.

Posted by Michael Jinks <mj...@uchicago.edu>.

--
Michael Jinks :: mjinks@uchicago.edu :: 773-469-9688
University of Chicago IT Services

Re: can't complete reservation

Posted by Josh Thompson <jo...@ncsu.edu>.

Will,

Make sure you have done all of the steps here:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/VCL/Granting+Access+to+a+New+Image

The RAM, CPU, etc requirements Young mentioned are both specs of the computers
and the images.  Images have minimum specs listed.  Computers have actual
specs listed.  The scheduler will not assign an image to a computer that does
not meet the image's minimum specs.  You can check the image minimum specs
under Advanced Options where you edit the image.  You can check the computer
specs where you edit the computer.

There won't be anything in vcld.log about this because a reservation never
gets created to be processed.

Josh

On Wednesday, July 11, 2012 1:37:37 PM Young h Oh wrote:
> Will,
>
> Did you check RAM, CPU speed, and others in 'computer' table that are
> sufficient for the requirement of images? If they are not enough for the
> image requirement, VCL cannot reserve images.
>
> I think if you post the snippet of the vcld.log, it would be useful for
> others to help you.
>
> Thank you.
> Young Hyun Oh
> IBM Tivoli CTO Technology and Architecture
>

> From:	William Robinson <wr...@exchange.clemson.edu>
> To:	"vcl-user@incubator.apache.org"
>             <vc...@incubator.apache.org>,
> Date:	07/11/2012 01:31 PM
> Subject:	can't complete reservation
>

> hello all,
>
> i've successfully created a base image and have its privileges configured
> for
> base users.  i'm trying to create a reservation, but vcl always says the
> requested time is not available even though there are no other reservations
>
> configured and the time grid is entirely green.  could this be an issue
> with the
> image itself?  log doesn't seem to indicate where the problem may lie. TIA.
>
> --
>

> will
- --

my GPG/PGP key can be found at pgp.mit.edu