Posted to dev@corinthia.apache.org by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <or...@apache.org> on 2014/12/23 17:51:26 UTC

IRC Channel Usage (was RE: Apache Corinthia website is up and running)

Concerning the desirability of maintaining an open IRC channel.

My cyber-worklife is organized around e-mail and asynchronous communication over mailing lists, blogs, and wikis.  I do not keep any messaging application open on my desktop and definitely not on mobile devices.  (I'm not really a "phone person" and use SMS as much as voice.)

I use Skype and Google Hangout+ for text/tele/video-conferencing.  These are mainly scheduled events, not spontaneous and not for Apache Project purposes.

I do have some regularly scheduled teleconferences, but I have ceased participating on ones that, because of their international character, are at times that work badly for someone whose civil time is at UTC-0800 and whose working language is under the handicap of native en-US.

I'm not objecting to the use of IRC.  It is simply not anything I partake in.

I am also wary of IRC on a podling, and certainly among PPMC members, until the process of working in public is well-established.  I have no opinion on its use for personal communications among project members.

 - Dennis

Posted by jan i <ja...@apache.org>.
On Tuesday, December 23, 2014, Peter Kelly <pm...@apache.org> wrote:

> I too prefer asynchronous communication. I often find being available
> online all day a distraction, esp. when i’m trying to concentrate on
> certain things (Corinthia related or otherwise) - the saying goes that
> every interruption costs 15 minutes of productivity, or something like that.
>
> I’m often on Skype (id: pmkelly2) when I’m not doing anything that
> requires intense concentration, but I’m not enthusiastic about having to
> keep an IRC channel open, and I even close my email usually when I’m
> working.
>
> Having said that, I try to respond to (important) messages reasonably
> quickly. And I’m happy to come on IRC (or any other real-time communication
> mechanism) at pre-arranged times for meetings - in fact I think these are
> quite valuable. Perhaps we could organise a google hangout every fortnight
> or so.

+1 to a google hangout, maybe not at fixed schedules but when we have
themes......that way we can make an invitation based in a agenda and each
of us can decide if we find it interesting.

rgds
jan i

Posted by Peter Kelly <pm...@apache.org>.