Posted to dev@trafficserver.apache.org by Walt Karas <wk...@yahooinc.com.INVALID> on 2024/04/08 19:28:20 UTC

Proposal: move ts_util.h/.cc into TS API (in ts namespace)

That is move plugins/experimental/txn_box/plugin/include/txn_box/ts_util.h
to include/ts, and plugins/experimental/txn_box/plugin/src/ts_util.cc to
src/api .

May involve some picking and choosing.  ts_util.h includes common.h.  I
don't think we want to bring all of common.h into the TS API.

Re: [E] Proposal: move ts_util.h/.cc into TS API (in ts namespace)

Posted by Walt Karas <wk...@yahooinc.com.INVALID>.
Hmm ts_util is a utility currently only used by txn_box.  It uses libswoc,
as do other parts of our code.

We have already decided to bring ts_util into our repo.  We already have to
maintain it.  It's a question of whether we want to get more use out of
it.  If we don't think it's of significant value to use C++ rather than C,
maybe we should just all switch to nginx?

Posted by Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>.

Re: [E] Re: Proposal: move ts_util.h/.cc into TS API (in ts namespace)

Posted by Masakazu Kitajo <ma...@apache.org>.
Like I said above, I think we should keep TS API minimal, because we cannot
change TS API casually. Once we add something, it's difficult to change or
remove it. I don't want to have much code with such constraints just for
convenience. That is why I've been very cautious about this (and any API
additions) and I call using libswoc stuff a huge commitment.

Convenience wise, making it an independent library would be more desirable.
You could get new convenient features without upgrading ATS. You could make
incompatible changes independently from ATS versions. What would we lose if
we didn't have the wrapper as TS API?

Re: [E] Re: Proposal: move ts_util.h/.cc into TS API (in ts namespace)

Posted by Walt Karas <wk...@yahooinc.com.INVALID>.
Although txn_box is experimental in open source, it has been used in prod
by Yahoo for some time, without causing performance issues.

I guess I'm not sure why you see this as a question of "necessity"?  You
could say a bicycle is not a necessity because you could walk.  The
question is, is it an improvement?  A true C++ API will be less verbose and
error-prone than a C-style API.  I am not saying we should deprecate the
C-style API, except possible in the very long term.

Posted by Masakazu Kitajo <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Walt Karas <wk...@yahooinc.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Masakazu Kitajo <m4...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Walt Karas <wk...@yahooinc.com.INVALID>.