Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Sumit Nigam <su...@yahoo.com.INVALID> on 2016/04/03 13:32:30 UTC

Compacting same table

Hi,
I have been informed that compacting (manual) the same hbase table takes same amount of time even when done in quick succession. This seems counter-intuitive because an already compacted table should not take same amount of time.
Also, what is the use of hbase.hstore.compaction.kv.max setting in compaction? I am unable to determine its implications on other compaction tuning  factors? The default of 10 seems too less.
Thanks,Sumit

Re: Compacting same table

Posted by Sumit Nigam <su...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
Hi Ted,
Thank you for your reply.
Yes, the source is an internal team which seemed to have done compaction of the same table twice in succession and made such an observation. To me, that is counter-intuitive because the Hbase code also has clear logic to show that it does not re-compact store files already compacted. However, I need to understand why the second compaction took so much time.
On "hbase.hstore.compaction.kv.max - The maximum number of KeyValues to read and then write in a batch when flushing or compacting"I had a question here.
Does this mean that from a given Hfile, as many KVs would be read at one time? So, if I increase memstore size, I should also increase this value because default value I believe is 10, which is probably too less.
Thanks,Sumit

Can you disclose the source of such information ?

For hbase.hstore.compaction.kv.max , hbase-default.xml has:

The maximum number of KeyValues to read and then write in a batch when
flushing or
      compacting. Set this lower if you have big KeyValues and problems
with Out Of Memory
      Exceptions Set this higher if you have wide, small rows.

Is the above description not clear ?

Thanks

Re: Compacting same table

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.