Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Lukas Michelbacher <mi...@ims.uni-stuttgart.de> on 2009/07/04 18:37:13 UTC

Boolean retrieval

This is about an experiment comparing plain Boolean retrieval with
vector-space-based retrieval.

I would like to disable all of Lucene's scoring mechanisms and just
run a true Boolean query that returns exactly the documents that match a
query specified in Boolean syntax (OR, AND, NOT). No scoring or sorting
required.

As far as I can see, this is not supported out of the box.  Which classes
would I have to modify?

Would it be enough to create a subclass of Similarity and to ignore all
terms but one (coord, say) and make this term return 1 if the query
matches the document and 0 otherwise?

Lukas

--
Lukas Michelbacher
Institute for Natural Language Processing

Re: Boolean retrieval

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.
As of 2.9 (not yet released) the new Collector API allows you to skip
scoring entirely and just collect the doc IDs matching the query.

Mike