Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by ryenus <ry...@gmail.com> on 2013/09/23 07:24:41 UTC

pull requests on github?

Would anyone be taking care of the pull requests on github:

https://github.com/apache/maven-plugins/pulls

I just made 2 but saw there're pull requests open for years.

Thanks

Re: pull requests on github?

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
On 23 September 2013 14:32, Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Sep 23, 2013, at 3:54 AM, Stephen Connolly <
> stephen.alan.connolly@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > In order to accept patches into any Apache Foundation project there must
> be
> > EITHER a signed ICLA on file from the person submitting the change OR a
> > clear indication of intent to contribute the code to the Apache
> Foundation.
> >
> > For small or quick changes signing a ICLA is overkill and too large a
> > barrier.
> >
> > The question then is, how do you indicate the intent to contribute the
> code
> > to the Apache Foundation?
> >
> > 1. You could clearly state on the pull request that the changes are your
> > own work and you are licensing them under the Apache License version 2.0
> > the Apache Foundation.
> > 2. You could create or update an existing issue in the project's issue
> > tracker indicating that the patch is available as a pull request that you
> > have authored and are licensing to the Apache Foundation under the Apache
> > License version 2.0.
> >
> > The latter (i.e. just create or update an issue in the issue tracker and
> > give a link to the pull request) is usually the easiest way to go.
>
> This has been discussed on a couple lists already.   The consensus on the
> other projects I've been involved in is issuing a pull request from github
> is a clear enough intent to contribute.  (as long as the pull request is
> properly forwarded to the right dev list which I think the mailer is setup
> OK for that now.)   Several projects are grabbing fixes via pull requests.

Do they have matching issues in their issue tracker? It has seemed a fairly
clear intent to me that pull requests are intended for up-stream (wherever
that upstream is) so I am ok if the ASF consensus opinion is that pull
requests against the apache org repos are an indication of intent. On the
other hand a three year old pull request may not have been created at the
time when this understanding was in play, so if you are the owner of that
three year old pull request, you could always signal intent a bit more
clearly.

Additionally, if the originator of a pull request includes in the pull
request message that the request is intended for submission to the ASF then
it's absolutely clear about the provenance making it super easy for a
committer to merge the request.

My comments were about how to make your pull request more likely to get
merged... which is basically:

1. Does it have tests that fail when the bug is not fixed?
2. Does it have tests that pass when the bug is fixed?
3. Does it leave code formatting alone except for the lines that are
touched?
4. Does it apply cleanly?
5. Is there a bug ID associated with the bug?
6. Is it super obvious that we can accept the contribution?

You could have a patch/pull request that meets none of the above and it
might get applied... if you meet all 6 then your request will be much more
likely to get picked up.

Re: pull requests on github?

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
On Sep 23, 2013, at 3:54 AM, Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com> wrote:

> In order to accept patches into any Apache Foundation project there must be
> EITHER a signed ICLA on file from the person submitting the change OR a
> clear indication of intent to contribute the code to the Apache Foundation.
>
> For small or quick changes signing a ICLA is overkill and too large a
> barrier.
>
> The question then is, how do you indicate the intent to contribute the code
> to the Apache Foundation?
>
> 1. You could clearly state on the pull request that the changes are your
> own work and you are licensing them under the Apache License version 2.0 to
> the Apache Foundation.
> 2. You could create or update an existing issue in the project's issue
> tracker indicating that the patch is available as a pull request that you
> have authored and are licensing to the Apache Foundation under the Apache
> License version 2.0.
>
> The latter (i.e. just create or update an issue in the issue tracker and
> give a link to the pull request) is usually the easiest way to go.

This has been discussed on a couple lists already.   The consensus on the other projects I've been involved in is issuing a pull request from github is a clear enough intent to contribute.  (as long as the pull request is properly forwarded to the right dev list which I think the mailer is setup OK for that now.)   Several projects are grabbing fixes via pull requests.

Dan

> On 23 September 2013 06:24, ryenus <ry...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Would anyone be taking care of the pull requests on github:
>>
>> https://github.com/apache/maven-plugins/pulls
>>
>> I just made 2 but saw there're pull requests open for years.
>>
>> Thanks

Daniel Kulp

Re: pull requests on github?

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.

Re: pull requests on github?

Posted by Andreas Gudian <an...@gmail.com>.
FYI, Kristian opened a Jira issue at LEGAL on that question some time ago:

Re: pull requests on github?

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
both merged.
Thanks for your contribution!

On 24 September 2013 10:09, ryenus <ry...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thank you Andreas.
>
> I've commented on that issue, with almost the same words I used here
> about the copyright/license stuff.
>
> Could someone please look at the patches instead of merely worrying
> about the license issue (there's no issue at all). They're very
> simple, and I have to wait to release my next version with separate
> jar/sources-jar/javadoc-jar differentiated via classifiers (for
> multiple jdk versions).
>
> Thank you
>
> On Mon, Sep 23, 2013 at 11:58 PM, ryenus <ry...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> @Stephen, @Daniel, sorry I didn't subscribe the ML so just read your
>> replies via markmail.org
>>
>> Regarding license, my github repo is simply a clone of
>> https://github.com/apache/maven-plugins, hence should inherit the same
>> license, and I kinda agree with Daniel that pull requests on github
>> are now defacto OSS contribution 'protocol' with enough implications
>> about the copyright grant stuff. Also a pull request is basically
>> saying, here is what I can give, you can either take it or abandon it,
>> at your own wish, of course, for the sake of goodness.
>>
>> Regarding JIRA tickets, I did create them accordingly in the first
>> place, you can see that the JIRA ticket IDs are included as prefixes
>> in pull requests titles, respectively. Also the JIRA tickets and GH
>> pull requests are now crossed linked to each other(s).
>>
>> About the 6 criteria Stephen mentioned
>>> 1. Does it have tests that fail when the bug is not fixed?
>> N/A, my PR's are more about enhancement
>>
>>> 2. Does it have tests that pass when the bug is fixed?
>> I haven't got the time to learn and write tests for these maven
>> plugins yet, for me it's mostly a matter of time and priority, which
>> highly depends on the business. However, I made the fixes only to
>> resolve real issues in my projects, see
>> https://github.com/ryenus/rop/blob/backport/pom.xml, checking the
>> tests you can see I'm a strong advocator of TDD as well.
>>
>> 3. Does it leave code formatting alone except for the lines that are
>> touched?
>> Yes
>>
>> 4. Does it apply cleanly?
>> Yes, GitHub now can automatically verify if a pull request can be
>> cleanly merged or not.
>>
>> 5. Is there a bug ID associated with the bug?
>> Yes, as mentioned above, JIRA tickets are created and cross linked to
>> the pull requests.
>>
>> 6. Is it super obvious that we can accept the contribution?
>> Yes, should be, it's very simple actually, even more so to maven developers.
>>

>> On Mon, Sep 23, 2013 at 1:24 PM, ryenus <ry...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Would anyone be taking care of the pull requests on github:
>>>
>>> https://github.com/apache/maven-plugins/pulls
>>>
>>> I just made 2 but saw there're pull requests open for years.
>>>
>>> Thanks

Olivier Lamy
Ecetera: http://ecetera.com.au

Re: pull requests on github?