Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Julien Henry <ju...@capgemini.com> on 2006/04/20 11:37:55 UTC

Jetty and Commons logging dependency

Hi,

I'm using Jetty to test my project. I have this in my pom (I use JSP) :
<dependency>
      <groupId>jetty</groupId>
      <artifactId>org.mortbay.jetty</artifactId>
      <version>5.1.10</version>
      <scope>test</scope>
    </dependency>
    <dependency>
      <groupId>jetty</groupId>
      <artifactId>jasper-runtime</artifactId>
      <version>4.2.20RC0</version>
      <scope>test</scope>
    </dependency>
    <dependency>
      <groupId>jetty</groupId>
      <artifactId>jasper-compiler</artifactId>
      <version>4.2.20RC0</version>
      <scope>test</scope>
    </dependency>

But the server can't be launched. I discovered that Jetty need
org.apache.commons-logging. So I added :
<dependency>
      <groupId>commons-logging</groupId>
      <version>1.0.4</version>
      <scope>test</scope>
    </dependency>

But why don't put commons-logging as a dependency of Jetty in the pom on
ibiblio ?

Thanks

Julien

Re: Jetty and Commons logging dependency

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.
Sounds like an error in the pom.

File a MEV bug with the proper jetty5 pom.xml file attached and
someone will update the pom on ibiblio.

Wayne

Posted by Jan Bartel <ja...@mortbay.com>.
If it works under eclipse, it should work under Maven. It sounds
like maybe you didn't do a clean rebuild under Maven and the
join() is still in there.

FYI, please find attached a sample test case that works just
find under Maven.

cheers
Jan

Posted by Julien Henry <ju...@capgemini.com>.

Jan Bartel a écrit :
> Julien,
>
> Sorry, my mistake. You don't need the server.getThreadPool().join().
> Just get rid of it and things should work fine.
>
> BTW: If you want JSP support you'll also need to add a
> <scope>test</scope> dependency for the version of jsp you want to
> support: 2.0 or 2.1. So you'll need a dependency for either
> groupId=org.mortbay.jetty artifactId=jsp-2.0 or
> groupId=org.mortbay.jetty artifactId=jsp-2.1
>
> Oh, and by the way, there is this kind of info on the jetty site:
> http://docs.codehaus.org/display/JETTY/Embedding+Jetty
>
> regards
> Jan
>
> Julien Henry wrote:
>>
>> Thanks for this example. It's exactly what I hoped to find on Jetty
>> website.
>>
>> But I first tried to run the tests with Eclipse, and the process
>> hangs indefinitly on "server.getThreadPool().join(); "
>> I tried to remove this line, and tests are now running fine under
>> eclipse.
>>
>> But with Maven, I doesn't work. I can see :
>> T E S T S
>> [surefire] Running net.sourceforge.jwebunit.AllTestsHtmlUnit
>> :INFO:  Logging to STDERR via org.mortbay.log.StdErrLog
>> :INFO:  NO JSP Support for /jwebunit, did not find
>> org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet
>> :INFO:  Started SelectChannelConnector @ 0.0.0.0:8082
>>
>> and the only way to stop this is to press [Ctrl]+[C]
>> :INFO:  Shutdown hook executing
>> :INFO:  Shutdown hook complete
>> Terminer le programme de commandes (O/N) ? o
>>
>> How can I make the tests running with Maven ?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Julien
>>
>> Jan Bartel a écrit :
>>
>>> Julien,
>>>
>>> You're not starting jetty6 correctly in the JettySetup setup() method.
>>> You need to do:
>>>
>>> Server server = new Server();
>>> XmlConfiguration xmlConfiguration = new XmlConfiguration(jettyConfig);
>>> xmlConfiguration.configure(server);
>>> server.start();
>>> server.getThreadPool().join();
>>>

>>> Instead of running jetty once for all the test cases, you could do a
>>> startup and shutdown of Jetty in the individual TestCase setUp()
>>> and tearDown() methods, and have the surefire plugin run **/*Test.java
>>>
>>> cheers
>>> Jan

Julien HENRY | **Capgemini Sud **| Nice

www.fr.capgemini.com <http://www.capgemini.com/>

Porte de l’Arénas – Entrée B | 455 Promenade des Anglais | 06200 Nice

**Join the Collaborative Business Experience**** **

Re: Jetty and Commons logging dependency

Posted by Jan Bartel <ja...@mortbay.com>.
Julien,

Posted by Julien Henry <ju...@capgemini.com>.

Posted by Jan Bartel <ja...@mortbay.com>.