Posted to dev@tapestry.apache.org by Mind Bridge <mi...@yahoo.com> on 2005/07/19 05:16:14 UTC

Inherited binding

Hi,

Unfortunately, the removal of 'inherited-binding' appear to cause a problem.
The reason is that if a parameter is not bound, then 'default-value' is
used, but 'binding' always binds the parameter.

In other words:
With 'inherited-binding', the parameter of the inner component is not bound
if the inherited parameter of the outer component is not bound either.
'default-value' is then used.

With 'binding', the parameter of the inner component is _always_ bound, even
if the inherited parameter of the outer component is not bound. The
parameter is bound to 'null' in that case and 'default-value' is not used as
a result.

I am trying to think of a good way to avoid returning 'inherited-binding' to
avoid that problem, but I cannot come up with a clean way to do so. Any
ideas?

Re: Inherited binding

Posted by Mind Bridge <mi...@yahoo.com>.
Hi,

Any ideas about this? I have been trying to think of a way to do this
with just 'binding', but I am not sure it can be done without two
different values of 'null'...

Should we return inherited-binding? That is easy -- the code is in from
3.0, only the DTD needs to be changed.

-mb

Re: Inherited binding

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
I was really hoping to eliminate inherited binding; it causes a bunch
of headaches and ambiguitites, but I can see your point.  Let me
ponder!

On 7/18/05, Mind Bridge <mi...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Unfortunately, the removal of 'inherited-binding' appear to cause a problem.
> The reason is that if a parameter is not bound, then 'default-value' is
> used, but 'binding' always binds the parameter.
>
> In other words:
> With 'inherited-binding', the parameter of the inner component is not bound
> if the inherited parameter of the outer component is not bound either.
> 'default-value' is then used.
>
> With 'binding', the parameter of the inner component is _always_ bound, even
> if the inherited parameter of the outer component is not bound. The
> parameter is bound to 'null' in that case and 'default-value' is not used as
> a result.
>
> I am trying to think of a good way to avoid returning 'inherited-binding' to
> avoid that problem, but I cannot come up with a clean way to do so. Any
> ideas?

Howard M. Lewis Ship
Creator, Jakarta Tapestry
Creator, Jakarta HiveMind

Better way of retrieving sort order & direction

Posted by Daniel Cummings <Da...@BrickSoftware.com>.
Mind Bridge

I'm still struggling trying to get at the sort order, sort direction as well
as what page we are on.

I can get at the data from the request and store that per report but I would
much rather retrieve it from the tablemodel.

I know that we are using the simple table model.

We have use of a tapestry expert for 2 to 3 hours.
Are you available for that kind of work?   Possibly a Net Meeting?

Dan