Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org> on 2003/02/28 17:56:29 UTC

[Proposal] Excalibur Dist Phase I

I have put together a suite of components for Phase I.

The location is here:

http://avalon.apache.org/~bloritsch/excalibur-dist/

Let me know what you think.

Also, are the version numbers right?

Re: [Proposal] Excalibur Dist Phase I

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.
Berin Loritsch wrote:
> Stephen McConnell wrote:
>

>> Excalibur i18n
>>
>> 1. Does not need to be in the list.
>

> Used by Pool.  Unless you are saying there has been absolutely
> no change since it was last released.

Oops, my mistake, it is used by Logger.

Re: [Proposal] Excalibur Dist Phase I

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

Berin Loritsch wrote:

>>> Used by Pool.  Unless you are saying there has been absolutely
>>> no change since it was last released.
>>

>> Absolutely no change since the last release.
>

> Ok.

>>> Hmm.  It is just title changing, or does it really describe TestCase?
>>

>> Here is the sum total of the ECM documentation (excluding Javadoc).
>>
>>    Introduction
>>    This project contains utilities which can be used to write
>> Excalibur Test Cases.
>

> Ok.  This amounts to title changing.  We can make the reference valid.

>>> Ok.  Do you know how to merge the extensions from all the other
>>> manifests automatically?
>>

>> Yep.
>> What exactly do you have in mind?
>

> Well the JAR *technically* has several extensions in there.  What I just
> did (CVS) is to change the extension name to
> "excalibur-component-complete" (same thing for Fortress).  If this is
> enough, let's go with that.  If not, we need to reflect all the
> extensions in the one manifest.

This is sufficient.

I think the assembly, meta and merlin jars are the only jars that
actually include correct extension dependency declarations - doing this
properly is something that would require review across all of Excalibur
- and I don't think this is the time to do it.

Cheers, Steve.

--

Stephen J. McConnell
mailto:mcconnell@apache.org

Re: [Proposal] Excalibur Dist Phase I

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

Berin Loritsch wrote:

> Stephen McConnell wrote:
>

>> Berin Loritsch wrote:
>>
>>> I have put together a suite of components for Phase I.
>>>
>>> The location is here:
>>>
>>> http://avalon.apache.org/~bloritsch/excalibur-dist/
>>>
>>> Let me know what you think.
>>

>> Excalibur i18n
>>
>> 1. Does not need to be in the list.
>

> Used by Pool.  Unless you are saying there has been absolutely
> no change since it was last released.

Absolutely no change since the last release.

>> Excalibur Component (ECM)
>>
>> 1. Excalibur component documentation (index.html link to JavaDoc
>>    points to the entire Avalon Javadoc - not the local component
>>    package javadoc).
>> 2. Excalibur Component index.html describes TestCase and not ECM
>

> Hmm.  It is just title changing, or does it really describe TestCase?

Here is the sum total of the ECM documentation (excluding Javadoc).

    Introduction
    This project contains utilities which can be used to write Excalibur
Test Cases.

>> 3. excalibur-component and excalibur-component-complete have identical
>>    extension names in their respective manifests (should be changed)
>

> Ok.  Do you know how to merge the extensions from all the other
> manifests automatically?

Yep.
What exactly do you have in mind?

>> Excalibur Instrument
>>
>> 1. Excalibur instrument documentation (index.html link to JavaDoc
>>    points to the entire Avalon Javadoc - not the local instrument
>>    package javadoc).
>> 2. Content of the link to Insrument Manager needs to be improved.
>

> :)  Volunteering?

Not really - I think its better if someone who knows the package gets
into this.  I do think the at least some basic description of the
package is a *requirement* for a realease.  Putting out a relase without
any descriptive documentation is below my OK threshhold :-)

>> 3. Content of the link to Insrument Client needs to be improved.
>

> Volunteering?

Same note as above.
I'm not trying to dip outy on the work - its simply that I'm not
familiar with the package and I'm sure that other people (i.e. the
authors) could pull this together ASAP.  If this isn't the case then we
should reconsider the release process - I'm not interested in supporting
something I'm not deeply into that doesn't have basic documentation.

>> 4. How-To links should be removed as they don't contain anything.
>

> Doable.
>

>> Excalibur Instrument Manager
>>
>> 1. seperation of instrument manager interfaces from implementation
>>    is good however the AltRMI classes should be seperated out into
>>    and independent server side AltRMI monitor package that should
>>    probably be colocated with the instrument client (i.e. client and
>>    server jars for an AltRMI monitoring solution) - see multiple
>>    prior emails on this subject.
>

> Just getting this thing out there to start the ball rolling.  Feel
> free to make that change.

Will do.

>> Excalibur Logger 1.0.1
>>
>> 1. Content of the documentation is all about i18n, not Logger!
>

> Hmm.  Alot of these docs were merely "starter pages" or placeholders,
> so there are copy and paste issues at work.  Are you sure it is
> describing i18n and not just need a fixed title?

 From Excalbur Logger index.html:

    Introduction
    Excalibur's Internationalization package is found in
    org.apache.avalon.excalibur.i18n. Avalon Excalibur
    includes a method of managing resources, and an interface
    for specifying the resource. Support for XML resource
    bundles are still under development.

>> Excalibur Pool 1.2
>>
>> 1. Content of the documentation is all about i18n, not Pool!
>> 2. Excalibur pool documentation (index.html link to JavaDoc
>>    points to the entire Avalon Javadoc - not the local pool
>>    package javadoc).
>

> Same comment as above.

 From Excalbur Pool index.html:

    Introduction
    Excalibur's Internationalization package is found in
    org.apache.avalon.excalibur.i18n. Avalon Excalibur
    includes a method of managing resources, and an interface
    for specifying the resource. Support for XML resource
    bundles are still under development.

>> Excalibur TestCase 1.0
>>
>> 1. The is zero documentation - at least an example should
>>    be presented and perhaps a table of the principal
>>    classes.
>> 2. Excalibur testcase documentation (index.html link to JavaDoc
>>    points to the entire Avalon Javadoc - not the local
>>    package javadoc).
>

> This is where we need some helpers with documentation.

I think it was during an investigation ito the thread package that I
noticed that the dependency on test case is lmited to BufferedLogger
(por something like that).  In these cases is seems to me that it would
make more sence to seperate out some of the utilities into a non-depdent
utility class as opposed to the full test-case dependecy?

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.
Stephen McConnell wrote:

> Berin Loritsch wrote:
>
>> I have put together a suite of components for Phase I.
>>
>> The location is here:
>>
>> http://avalon.apache.org/~bloritsch/excalibur-dist/
>>
>> Let me know what you think.
>

> Excalibur i18n
>
> 1. Does not need to be in the list.

Used by Pool.  Unless you are saying there has been absolutely
no change since it was last released.

> Excalibur Component (ECM)
>
> 1. Excalibur component documentation (index.html link to JavaDoc
>    points to the entire Avalon Javadoc - not the local component
>    package javadoc).
> 2. Excalibur Component index.html describes TestCase and not ECM

Hmm.  It is just title changing, or does it really describe TestCase?

> 3. excalibur-component and excalibur-component-complete have identical
>    extension names in their respective manifests (should be changed)

Ok.  Do you know how to merge the extensions from all the other
manifests automatically?

> Excalibur Instrument
>
> 1. Excalibur instrument documentation (index.html link to JavaDoc
>    points to the entire Avalon Javadoc - not the local instrument
>    package javadoc).
> 2. Content of the link to Insrument Manager needs to be improved.

:)  Volunteering?

> 3. Content of the link to Insrument Client needs to be improved.

Volunteering?

> 4. How-To links should be removed as they don't contain anything.

Doable.

> Excalibur Instrument Manager
>
> 1. seperation of instrument manager interfaces from implementation
>    is good however the AltRMI classes should be seperated out into
>    and independent server side AltRMI monitor package that should
>    probably be colocated with the instrument client (i.e. client and
>    server jars for an AltRMI monitoring solution) - see multiple
>    prior emails on this subject.

Just getting this thing out there to start the ball rolling.  Feel
free to make that change.

> Excalibur Logger 1.0.1
>
> 1. Content of the documentation is all about i18n, not Logger!

Hmm.  Alot of these docs were merely "starter pages" or placeholders,
so there are copy and paste issues at work.  Are you sure it is
describing i18n and not just need a fixed title?

> Excalibur Pool 1.2
>
> 1. Content of the documentation is all about i18n, not Pool!
> 2. Excalibur pool documentation (index.html link to JavaDoc
>    points to the entire Avalon Javadoc - not the local pool
>    package javadoc).

Same comment as above.

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

Berin Loritsch wrote:

> I have put together a suite of components for Phase I.
>
> The location is here:
>
> http://avalon.apache.org/~bloritsch/excalibur-dist/
>
> Let me know what you think.

Excalibur i18n

 1. Does not need to be in the list.

Excalibur Component (ECM)

 1. Excalibur component documentation (index.html link to JavaDoc
    points to the entire Avalon Javadoc - not the local component
    package javadoc).
 2. Excalibur Component index.html describes TestCase and not ECM
 3. excalibur-component and excalibur-component-complete have identical
    extension names in their respective manifests (should be changed)

Excalibur Instrument

 1. Excalibur instrument documentation (index.html link to JavaDoc
    points to the entire Avalon Javadoc - not the local instrument
    package javadoc).
 2. Content of the link to Insrument Manager needs to be improved.
 3. Content of the link to Insrument Client needs to be improved.
 4. How-To links should be removed as they don't contain anything.

Excalibur Instrument Manager

 1. seperation of instrument manager interfaces from implementation
    is good however the AltRMI classes should be seperated out into
    and independent server side AltRMI monitor package that should
    probably be colocated with the instrument client (i.e. client and
    server jars for an AltRMI monitoring solution) - see multiple
    prior emails on this subject.

Excalibur Logger 1.0.1

 1. Content of the documentation is all about i18n, not Logger!
 2. Excalibur logger documentation (index.html link to JavaDoc
    points to the entire Avalon Javadoc - not the local logger
    package javadoc).

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@realityforge.org>.
On Sat, 1 Mar 2003 03:56, Berin Loritsch wrote:
> I have put together a suite of components for Phase I.
>
> The location is here:
>
> http://avalon.apache.org/~bloritsch/excalibur-dist/
>
> Let me know what you think.

I want to see TestCase merged into the ECM. They are tightly coupled and
TestCase has no life beyond ECM - at least not in current form.

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald