Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Nishant Deshpande <ni...@gmail.com> on 2004/11/09 00:01:45 UTC

resource defined in web.xml has null attributes but server.xml is ok

When I set up a db resource in web.xml and create it, for some reasons
it has null's in its attributes (such as username, url, driverClass,
..).

But when I set up the same resource in server.xml, it works fine.

>From the documentation it wasn't clear to me if both need to be set up
the same way. i.e. I use

<Resource name=X.../>
<ResourceParams name=X>
<parameter> ..... </parameter>
</ResourceParams>

in server.xml or web.xml, and then create a reference to it using
<Resource-ref> in web.xml.

Is this the correct way of doing this and if so any ideas on why a
resource defined in web.xml should have null attributes when i get the
object?

Thanks

Re: resource defined in web.xml has null attributes but server.xml is ok

Posted by Nishant Deshpande <ni...@gmail.com>.
Ok got it.

If I could read property I would have saved myself a lot of time. Just
to emphasise for anyone else looking at this thread..

> a context (if not
> DefaultContext) can be defined in the server.xml *or*

The OR is important - i was defining a context for the same webapp in
server.xml *and* my context.xml. When I do this, the
META-INF/context.xml file does not get read and copied to
/conf/Catalina/<hostname>/<appname>.xml. Only the context in
server.xml is read.

Thanks for your help.

Posted by Peter Johnson <pe...@wizardslair.net>.

Posted by Nishant Deshpande <ni...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Peter Johnson <pe...@wizardslair.net>.
Hi,

Tomcat in server mode question

Posted by Mufaddal Khumri <mu...@wmotion.com>.
Hi,

I am trying to run Tomcat 5.0.27 in server mode on a Win XP
Professional machine.

Tomcat is installed as a service on this box. I can start and stop it
and everything works fine. As soon as I specify the -server option
Tomcat wont start????

I do this by right clicking on the tomcat service icon and selecting
Configure --> Java: Java options and add the -server option there.

Am I doing this right or am i missing something?

Posted by Steve Kirk <to...@web-startup.co.uk>.
You don't say what version.  I am aware that things are changing in this
area in 5.5.x so what I'm saying possibly applies to 5.0.x only.  Check the
docs if you have a different version.

In 5.0.x, you have to put <resource-ref> in web.xml if you want to be
compliant with the servlet spec.
If you do that, you do not need the <Resource> anywhere.  I don't think it's
allowed in web.xml anyway.
TC allows you to omit <resource-ref> and use <Resource> instead if you
really must, but this is not spec-compliant.
If you do use <Resource>, it goes wherever you put <ResourceParams> as
decribed below.

The ResourceParams can go under a number of places and this is where people
get confused.  You can put it within:
<GlobalNamingResources> in server.xml, in which case you need a
<ResourceLink> under your <Context> to point from the <Context> to the
global resource

<Context> in server.xml, which you will have to create under the correct
<Host> (which is not recommended any longer)

<DefaultContext> in server.xml, again no longer recommended

CATALINA_HOME/conf/Engine/host/yourwebappname.xml - which contains purely
the <Context> tag

META-INF/context.xml within a war file (but not an open filesystem).  If you
choose this option, you need to pay attention to TC reloading behaviour when
you edit the <Context>.

All this is in the docs.  Well worth a read! :)
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-5.0-doc/index.html