Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by "Moser, Martin (Bbn)" <mm...@hp.com> on 2004/12/09 17:08:26 UTC

Cocoon-Actions returning xm

Hi all,

I am using cocoon 2.0.4 and have some troubles with the return values of my actions.

The action returns a string, containing xml. This xml should be parsed in an xsl sheet, which is revieving the return value of this action.
But I am not able to access the xml tags in the style sheet.

Here is a sample code of the action:
		:
	String str = "<test>text</test>";
	map.put("MSG", str);
	return (map);

The code in the according style sheet:
	<xsl:param name="MSG"/>
	:
	:

Now the browser is printing: "<test>text</test>"
If I have a look at the source of this html, via "View source Code" from the browser, I can see that the '<' and '>' signs are replaced by '&gt' and '&lt'.

But I want to have '<' and '>'  and not '&lt' or '&gt'.
Is there any special way to configure actions to make them returning xml?

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Martin

Re: Cocoon-Actions returning xm

Posted by Ralph Goers <Ra...@dslextreme.com>.
Moser, Martin (Bbn) wrote:

>The action returns a string, containing xml. This xml should be parsed in an xsl sheet, which is revieving the return value of this action.
>But I am not able to access the xml tags in the style sheet.

Other folks have given you this answer, but I'm not sure its clear.
Cocoon, and xslt, don't process XML per-se. They process SAX events
and/or DOM.  As such, you can't manipulate a string containing XML in
the manner you are trying to do.  Since '<' and '>' aren't allowed in
"data" in XML, they are converted to &lt; and &gt;.  A way around this
is to use aggregation, although this would most likely mean converting
your action into a generator. This would then be aggregated into the XML
being fed to your stylesheet where you could manipulate it as you wish.
In a way, this is more efficient because your generator doesn't need to
actually generate XML, but can generate SAX events.

Ralph