Posted to dev@flink.apache.org by sirinath <si...@gmail.com> on 2014/11/06 19:09:22 UTC

Make Streaming Interoperable with Reactive Streams, Java Streams and Rx

Hi,

Is it possible to add interop with the following projects in Streaming:
 - http://reactive-streams.org/ specification
 - Java Streams
 - If possible http://reactivex.io/

Suminda

Re: Make Streaming Interoperable with Reactive Streams, Java Streams and Rx

Posted by Gyula Fora <gy...@apache.org>.
Thank you for your suggestions. We are planning to extend connector support to many other systems.
In the meantime, any contribution regarding this is warmly welcome.

Posted by Gyula Fora <gy...@apache.org>.
Hey Suminda,

I am not 100% by what you mean by interoperating, so clarify me if I am off-track here :)

The systems that you have mentioned provide programming models for stream processing systems, in that sense a lot of features of Flink runtime are similar to these systems but it is presented in a much higher level API.

If by interoperating you mean connecting the streams from one systems to another, it is definitely possible in fact would be probably quite easy. For example a source in the Flink streaming system would implement a consumer in the other system and could receive messages and process them. On the other and a Flink sink could be implemented as a Producer for the other systems.

I hope this answers your questions, if not, let me know :)

Gyula