Posted to dev@karaf.apache.org by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net> on 2012/08/18 00:47:52 UTC

[DISCUSSION] OSGi core version in Karaf version

Hi team,

As you know, OSGi core 5.0.0 has been released.

I would like to discuss about which version of Karaf should support
which version of the OSGi core (and so the corresponding OSGi frameworks).

I have the following proposal:

- Karaf 2.2.x => OSGi core 4.2.0
- Karaf 2.3.x => OSGi core 4.3.0
- Karaf 3.0.x => OSGi core 4.3.0
- Karaf 3.1.x => OSGi core 5.0.0

I would wait Karaf 3.1.x to update to OSGi core 5.0.0 as the OSGi
frameworks are not yet fully ready on this specification.

WDYT ?

Regards
JB
--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: [DISCUSSION] OSGi core version in Karaf version

Posted by Scott England-Sullivan <su...@gmail.com>.
Thanks JB.

Updated patches have been added to KARAF-1753.

Best Regards,
Scott ES

Scott England-Sullivan
----------------------------------
FuseSource
Web:     http://www.fusesource.com
Blog:     http://sully6768.blogspot.com
Twitter: sully6768

Re: [DISCUSSION] OSGi core version in Karaf version

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Thanks Scott,

Posted by Scott England-Sullivan <su...@gmail.com>.
Makes sense to me.  They still have a number of issues that they are
working to include in 1.8.x.  I will add a note in the Javadoc stating what
version is currently supported.

I am uploading a new patch to KARAF-1753 today.  It will take the place of
the one currently attached to the ticket.  It catches up on some conflicts
to the original patch.

Best Regards,
Scott ES

On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 8:24 AM, Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>wrote:

> Oh, got it Scott.
>
> IMHO, I would prefer to stay with Felix DS 1.6.0. As we are going to
> release 2.3.0 very soon, we can ship SNAPSHOT.
>

> Regards
> JB
>
> On 09/12/2012 03:22 PM, Scott England-Sullivan wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the response.  Bad question on my part.
>>
>> Better question is are we going to wait until all the functionality that
>> is
>> to be included in Karaf 2.3 that is dependent on the corresponding Felix
>> projects to get updated?  Felix DS (SCR) with support for OSGi 4.3/DS Spec
>> 1.2 (Felix DS 1.8.0-SNAPSHOT) is still under development.
>>
>> Should I migrate the SCR bundles to the Felix DS 1.8.0-SNAPSHOT for Karaf
>> 2.3?
>>
>> Or do I wait, leave it at OSGi 4.2/DS Spec 1.1 (Felix DS 1.6.0) and then
>> update them in a later release of Karaf 2.3.x?
>>
>> I am OK with either.  Just need your input.
>>
>> On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 7:55 AM, Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb@nanthrax.net
>> >wrote:
>>
>>  Hi Scott,
>>>
>>> Karaf 2.3 already uses OSGi r4.3 (and corresponding framework).
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> JB
>>>

>>> On 09/12/2012 02:41 PM, Scott England-Sullivan wrote:
>>>
>>>  Hi All,

>>> Jean-Baptiste Onofré
>>> jbonofre@apache.org
>>> http://blog.nanthrax.net
>>> Talend - http://www.talend.com
>>>

> --
> Jean-Baptiste Onofré
> jbonofre@apache.org
> http://blog.nanthrax.net
> Talend - http://www.talend.com

Scott England-Sullivan
----------------------------------

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Oh, got it Scott.

Posted by Scott England-Sullivan <su...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the response.  Bad question on my part.

Better question is are we going to wait until all the functionality that is
to be included in Karaf 2.3 that is dependent on the corresponding Felix
projects to get updated?  Felix DS (SCR) with support for OSGi 4.3/DS Spec
1.2 (Felix DS 1.8.0-SNAPSHOT) is still under development.

Should I migrate the SCR bundles to the Felix DS 1.8.0-SNAPSHOT for Karaf
2.3?

Or do I wait, leave it at OSGi 4.2/DS Spec 1.1 (Felix DS 1.6.0) and then
update them in a later release of Karaf 2.3.x?

I am OK with either.  Just need your input.

On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 7:55 AM, Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>wrote:

> Hi Scott,
>
> Karaf 2.3 already uses OSGi r4.3 (and corresponding framework).
>
> Regards
> JB
>

> On 09/12/2012 02:41 PM, Scott England-Sullivan wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> What was the final outcome on this?  Is Karaf-2.3.x going to be based on
>> OSGi 4.3?
>>
>> Needing to know if I should update the Karaf 2.3.x SCR bundles to the
>> Felix
>> DS 1.8.0-SNAPSHOT which has the 4.3 support in it.
>>
>> Best Regards,
>> Scott ES
>>
>> On Sun, Aug 19, 2012 at 9:33 PM, Freeman Fang <freeman.fang@gmail.com
>> >wrote:
>>
>>  +1 for Andreas's first plan.
>>>
>>> Freeman
>>> -------------
>>> Freeman Fang
>>>
>>> FuseSource
>>> Email:ffang@fusesource.com
>>> Web: fusesource.com
>>> Twitter: freemanfang
>>> Blog: http://freemanfang.blogspot.**com<http://freemanfang.blogspot.com>
>>> http://blog.sina.com.cn/u/**1473905042<http://blog.sina.com.cn/u/1473905042>
>>> weibo: http://weibo.com/u/1473905042
>>>
>>> On 2012-8-18, at 下午1:19, Andreas Pieber wrote:
>>>
>>>  TBH I personally would rather prefer:

> --
> Jean-Baptiste Onofré
> jbonofre@apache.org
> http://blog.nanthrax.net
> Talend - http://www.talend.com

Scott England-Sullivan
----------------------------------

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Scott,

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 2:41 PM, Scott England-Sullivan <sully6768@gmail.com
> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> What was the final outcome on this?  Is Karaf-2.3.x going to be based on
> OSGi 4.3?

Karaf 2.3.x is laready using OSGi 4.3

--
------------------------
Guillaume Nodet

Re: [DISCUSSION] OSGi core version in Karaf version

Posted by Scott England-Sullivan <su...@gmail.com>.
Hi All,

What was the final outcome on this?  Is Karaf-2.3.x going to be based on
OSGi 4.3?

Needing to know if I should update the Karaf 2.3.x SCR bundles to the Felix
DS 1.8.0-SNAPSHOT which has the 4.3 support in it.

Best Regards,
Scott ES

On Sun, Aug 19, 2012 at 9:33 PM, Freeman Fang <fr...@gmail.com>wrote:

> +1 for Andreas's first plan.
>
> Freeman
> -------------
> Freeman Fang
>
> FuseSource
> Email:ffang@fusesource.com
> Web: fusesource.com
> Twitter: freemanfang
> Blog: http://freemanfang.blogspot.com
> http://blog.sina.com.cn/u/1473905042
> weibo: http://weibo.com/u/1473905042
>
> On 2012-8-18, at 下午1:19, Andreas Pieber wrote:
>
> > TBH I personally would rather prefer:
> >
> > - Karaf 2.2.x => OSGi core 4.2.0
> > - Karaf 2.3.x => OSGi core 4.3.0
> > - Karaf 3.x.y => OSGi core 4.3.0
> > - Karaf 4.x.y => OSGi core 5.0.0
> >
> > or
> >
> > - Karaf 2.2.x => OSGi core 4.2.0
> > - Karaf 2.3.x => OSGi core 4.3.0
> > - Karaf 3.x.y => OSGi core 5.0.0
> >
> > I know that both options are not really optimal, but I don't think
> > that we really want to upgrade the inner core of the entire thing to
> > the next major version in a minor of Karaf. There where some API
> > changes from a user lvl of view which disallow to drop the same bundle
> > into a 4.2/4.3 environment and a 5.0. I do not really fancy the idea
> > of breaking compatibility between minor releases. If ppls setup break
> > from one minor to the next they lost trust and upgrade ways too late
> > although there should be no reason.
> >
> > WDYT?
> >
> > Kind regards,
> > Andreas
> >
> > On Sat, Aug 18, 2012 at 12:47 AM, Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>
> wrote:
> >> Hi team,
> >>
> >> As you know, OSGi core 5.0.0 has been released.
> >>
> >> I would like to discuss about which version of Karaf should support
> which
> >> version of the OSGi core (and so the corresponding OSGi frameworks).
> >>
> >> I have the following proposal:
> >>
> >> - Karaf 2.2.x => OSGi core 4.2.0
> >> - Karaf 2.3.x => OSGi core 4.3.0
> >> - Karaf 3.0.x => OSGi core 4.3.0
> >> - Karaf 3.1.x => OSGi core 5.0.0
> >>
> >> I would wait Karaf 3.1.x to update to OSGi core 5.0.0 as the OSGi
> frameworks
> >> are not yet fully ready on this specification.
> >>
> >> WDYT ?
> >>
> >> Regards
> >> JB
> >> --
> >> Jean-Baptiste Onofré
> >> jbonofre@apache.org
> >> http://blog.nanthrax.net
> >> Talend - http://www.talend.com

Scott England-Sullivan
----------------------------------

Posted by Freeman Fang <fr...@gmail.com>.
+1 for Andreas's first plan.

Freeman
-------------

Posted by Scott England-Sullivan <su...@gmail.com>.
All,

As someone who has to help organizations migrate and define adoption plans I much prefer the plan outlined by Andreas. Creating a break in backwards compatibility in a minor release causes a loss of faith in enterprise organizations. That faith is hard to rebuild later on without a compelling reason.

I also believe having a long term roadmap to adopt OSGi r.5 as part of the Karaf 4.0 baseline reinforces good faith. It allows technical leads and architects the time to create a migration plan.  It also shows maturity in the leadership of Karaf which makes my life much easier.

Just my two cents.

Scott ES

Scott England-Sullivan
http://FuseSource.com

Posted by Andreas Pieber <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Łukasz Dywicki <lu...@code-house.org>.

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.

Posted by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>.
Sounds good. Would be too late to change the major OSGi version for 3.x.

Christian

--

Christian Schneider
http://www.liquid-reality.de

Open Source Architect

Re: [DISCUSSION] OSGi core version in Karaf version

Posted by Achim Nierbeck <bc...@googlemail.com>.
Hi all,

yeah I'm also for this

Karaf 3.0 sticks to 4.3 (OSGi Core)
and Karaf 4.0 to 5.0

regards, Achim

2012/8/18 Jamie G. <ja...@gmail.com>:
> I agree that we should not change major OSGi core versions on minor releases.
>
> - Karaf 3.x.y => OSGi core 4.3.0
> - Karaf 4.x.y => OSGi core 5.0.0
>
> The above works for me.
>
> Cheers,
> Jamie
>
> On Sat, Aug 18, 2012 at 6:46 AM, Ioannis Canellos <io...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I've no problem with either of those since the 4.3 release of the core
>>> does not break backward compatibility (compared to 5.0) --> also fine
>>> with that approach (BUT, AFAIK 2.3.x had been ported to 4.3 already)
>>>

>> Then our views are completely aligned :-)
>>
>> --
>> *Ioannis Canellos*
>> *
>> FuseSource <http://fusesource.com>
>>
>> **
>> Blog: http://iocanel.blogspot.com
>> **
>> Twitter: iocanel
>> *

Committer & Project Lead
OPS4J Pax for Vaadin
<http://team.ops4j.org/wiki/display/PAXVAADIN/Home> Commiter & Project
Lead
blog <http://notizblog.nierbeck.de/>

Re: [DISCUSSION] OSGi core version in Karaf version

Posted by "Jamie G." <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ioannis Canellos <io...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andreas Pieber <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ioannis Canellos <io...@gmail.com>.