Posted to dev@couchdb.apache.org by Noah Slater <ns...@tumbolia.org> on 2012/10/14 12:27:33 UTC

[REL1.3.0] CouchDB Windows / OS X packages (Progress?)

Hey,

This is the first of several "What's up with releasing 1.3?" emails.
(See subject prefix!)

I wanted to start a discussion around our Windows and OS X packages.

At the moment, our OS X package is hosted on Github, which we need to fix.
What can we do to get this package into the source, and maybe iterate on it
a little?

And are there any improvements we can make to our Windows package for this
release?

Any volunteers to head up these efforts?

Thanks!

--
NS

Re: [REL1.3.0] CouchDB Windows / OS X packages (Progress?)

Posted by Randall Leeds <ra...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Nov 14, 2012 at 10:34 AM, Joan Touzet <jo...@atypical.net> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am unable to make today's meeting so I wanted to give a status update.
>
> I've resurrected my work on packaging CouchDB using WiX for Win32. I
> also have recently written new BigCouch wrappers for rpm and deb and am
> happy to help get these done up for CouchDB.
>
> What I'm looking for is an interested committer (dch? tilgovi?) who is
> willing to work with me to help get these patches landed on the tree. My
> goal specifically would be:

Happy to.

Re: [REL1.3.0] CouchDB Windows / OS X packages (Progress?)

Posted by Dave Cottlehuber <dc...@jsonified.com>.
On 14 November 2012 19:34, Joan Touzet <jo...@atypical.net> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am unable to make today's meeting so I wanted to give a status update.
>
> I've resurrected my work on packaging CouchDB using WiX for Win32. I
> also have recently written new BigCouch wrappers for rpm and deb and am
> happy to help get these done up for CouchDB.
>
> What I'm looking for is an interested committer (dch? tilgovi?) who is
> willing to work with me to help get these patches landed on the tree. My
> goal specifically would be:
>
> 1. Get all of the bits necessary to build packages into the repo,
> possibly using downstream distro bits as a starting point for deb/rpm
>
> 2. Ensure that the bits work
>
> 3. Consult with our downstream distros for any changes they'd like to
> see in our repo directly
>
> 4. profit, etc.
>
> Noah, what is the hard cutoff date for changing the repo? Would there be
> any leeway to change only things that affect the build process/packaging
> instead of the code itself?
>
> -Joan
>
> On Sat, Nov 03, 2012 at 07:04:09PM +0000, Noah Slater wrote:
>> Hey guys! What's the current status of the build/packaging work? Would LOVE
>> to get some of this done for 1.3! <g>
>>
>> On 29 October 2012 17:58, Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > i can probably help as well. rcouchx is using a simple makefile but that
>> > can be ported to autools imo

>> > is
>> > Github,

>> > look

>> > you

>> > to.

>> > dch@jsonified.com

>> > emails.

>> > packages.

>> > need

>> > an
>> > people

>> > in

>> --
>> NS
>
> --
> Joan Touzet | joant@atypical.net | wohali everywhere else

Woo!! I can't speak for the unix stuff (other than I'll be delighted
to help test it) but yup I am up for the windows world. Just point me
at it. And give me a day to re-read the WiX book.. Having an MSI as
the default package makes sense to me,  and I will prepare a nuget
package this time around, it seems to be gaining ground:
http://chocolatey.org/, should be straightforward.

Personally I would prefer to roll 1.3.0 soon (timebound) and then give
a period for the new approaches to settle down before they go into git
master. Shipping MSI binaries based off 1.3.0 vs shipping a binary
made directly from 1.3.0 is largely semantics for end users.

If its not a big change and I've done my docs stuff (mea culpa) then
let's do it.

A+
Dave

Re: [REL1.3.0] CouchDB Windows / OS X packages (Progress?)

Posted by Joan Touzet <jo...@atypical.net>.
Hi all,

Posted by Dave Cottlehuber <dc...@jsonified.com>.
On 18 November 2012 18:28, Hans J Schroeder <hs...@cloudno.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The OS X launcher is now ready for 1.3. I have fixed the branding issues:
>
> - name and title of the app is now "Apache CouchDB"
> - About box is fixed and show a link to the sources
> - About box title is "Apache CouchDB"
>
> I did a test build on the CouchDB 1.3 branch which runs ok with one minor prob.
> The couchdb binary does not recognize the COUCHDB_ADDITIONAL_CONFIG_FILE parameter
> anymore which is used by the couchdbx launcher.

Hans, that's fantastic.!

We were missing #161181, I added it to 1.3.x and master.

Can you try again and let me know if anything else is mssing?

A+
Dave

Re: [REL1.3.0] CouchDB Windows / OS X packages (Progress?)

Posted by Hans J Schroeder <hs...@cloudno.de>.
Hi,

The OS X launcher is now ready for 1.3. I have fixed the branding issues:

- name and title of the app is now "Apache CouchDB"
- About box is fixed and show a link to the sources
- About box title is "Apache CouchDB"

I did a test build on the CouchDB 1.3 branch which runs ok with one minor prob.
The couchdb binary does not recognize the COUCHDB_ADDITIONAL_CONFIG_FILE parameter
anymore which is used by the couchdbx launcher.

Ver 1.2 bin/couchdb:

_load_config () {
    _add_config_file "$DEFAULT_CONFIG_FILE"
    _add_config_dir "$DEFAULT_CONFIG_DIR"
    _add_config_file "$LOCAL_CONFIG_FILE"
    _add_config_dir "$LOCAL_CONFIG_DIR"
    if [ "$COUCHDB_ADDITIONAL_CONFIG_FILE" != '' ]
    then
        _add_config_file "$COUCHDB_ADDITIONAL_CONFIG_FILE"
    fi
}

Ver 1.3 bin/couchdb:

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.

Posted by Joan Touzet <wo...@gmail.com>.
Hi Noah,

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.
Hey Hans,

Posted by Hans J Schroeder <hs...@cloudno.de>.
Hi Noah,

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@tumbolia.org>.

Posted by Dave Cottlehuber <dc...@jsonified.com>.

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@tumbolia.org>.
I am hoping Dave can chip in here with his experience getting the Windows
build integrated.

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@php.net>.
Thanks Hans!

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.
Thanks Hans!

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@tumbolia.org>.
Dave,

I more meant, perhaps you have some guidance on how we can roll this OS X
stuff into master? You're the only one here who's embedded a 3rd party
build system into our build system. YO DAWG.

Posted by Dave Cottlehuber <dc...@jsonified.com>.

Posted by Hans J Schroeder <hs...@cloudno.de>.
Hi, Noah

"