Posted to dev@whimsical.apache.org by sebb <se...@gmail.com> on 2017/06/01 15:47:22 UTC

Add Gemfile.lock files to Git?

Should the Gemfile.lock files be added to Git?

I've seen articles that say they should be added, but that may not
always be a good idea.

At present, these files are listed in .gitignore.

Re: Add Gemfile.lock files to Git?

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.
On Thu, Jun 1, 2017 at 11:47 AM, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Should the Gemfile.lock files be added to Git?
>
> I've seen articles that say they should be added, but that may not
> always be a good idea.
>
> At present, these files are listed in .gitignore.

It is a valid project choice to do so.  And in the case of Whimsy, we
could chose to make that that choice differently for every directory.

The two relevant commands here are (1) "bundle install" which will
install the versions specified in the Gemfile.lock file if present,
otherwise it will do the equivalent of a "bundle update".  And (2)
"bundle update" which will install the latest version of Gems that
match the criteria specified in Gemfile.

At the moment, we are not checking in the Gemfile.log files, and the
'update' task in the Rakefile runs "bundle update".  This means that
any time any code is deployed, a scan is made to determine if there
are any newer versions of dependencies that meet the criteria in the
Gemfile, and if so, install them.

The upside is that we pick up bugfixes automatically.  The downside is
that we pick up bugfixes automatically, which may cause breakage.

The alternative is for whimsy developers to do a bundle install any
time a Gemfile changes, and to do a bundle update plus commit plus
push every time there is a desire to pick up a new version of a
dependency.  This update+commit+push will need to be redone for every
Gemfile.

- Sam Ruby