Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Scott Purcell <sp...@vertisinc.com> on 2005/04/11 21:01:09 UTC

Logging assistance.

Hello,
I am trying to get the logging to work for a webapp I am working on. I am using Tomcat 5.5.7 and I am here:
http://localhost/tomcat-docs/logging.html

I followed the instructions but do not get what I assume is proper behavior.

1) created the "log4j.properties" file and placed under common/classes.

2) then I made sure I got the latest "logj.jar" and "commons-logging.jar" and placed both under common/lib

Then in my JSP file I have this:
<%@ page import="org.apache.log4j.Logger" %>
<% log.debug("alive."); %>

Now I see the log file that was created, named Tomcat.log, but all that is in there are a bunch of Catalina messages and not my "alive" statement?

Anyone have an idea why this is not working? Do I need to create a resource, or something outside the docs?

Thanks,

Scott K Purcell | Developer | VERTIS |
555 Washington Ave. 4th Floor | St. Louis, MO 63101 |
314.588.0720 Ext:1320 | spurcell@vertisinc.com | http://www.vertisinc.com

Vertis is the premier provider of targeted advertising, media, and
marketing services that drive consumers to marketers more effectively.