Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Vincent Massol <vm...@pivolis.com> on 2003/06/16 18:32:50 UTC

JBoss plugin - new modifications

Hi,

I don't like the way the jboss plugin works. ATM, it assumes the EAR and
the jboss packaging is done in the same project. I think they are 2
separate activities that should be done in 2 separate projects. Why?

Because packaging something in JBoss can mean packaging several modules:
An EAR module, an EJB-JAR one, a WAR one, etc. and this won't work in a
single project.

Proposal:

* Add a <jboss.bundle> property for dependencies. Example:

<dependencies>
  <dependency>
    <groupId>everest</groupId>
    <artifactId>registration</artifactId>
    <version>1.0-SNAPSHOT</version>
    <type>ear</type>
    <properties>
      <jboss.bundle>true</jboss.bundle>
    </properties>
  </dependency>
</dependencies>

* Keep only a jboss:package goal (remove the jboss:package-ear, etc) as
they are no longer needed. The modules to package are now listed in the
dependencies list

If no one has any objection, I'll implement this in the coming 1-2 days.

Thanks
-Vincent

Re: JBoss plugin problem with JBoss/Tomcat 3.0.x

Posted by Rafal Krzewski <Ra...@caltha.pl>.
Willie Vu wrote:
> Attached is a patch to fix the problem.

Please, please post patches to Jira. That makes the life of maintainers
a lot easier, and gives you the best chance of getting your patches in.

R.

RE: JBoss plugin problem with JBoss/Tomcat 3.0.x

Posted by Willie Vu <ct...@ust.hk>.
Attached is a patch to fix the problem.

--
Willie Vu

Posted by Willie Vu <ct...@ust.hk>.
There is a problem with the new modifications, when JBoss 3.0.4/Tomcat 4.1.12 is
used.  When jboss:start is executed, it causes a NoClassDefFoundError.  It has
to do with the fact that when JBoss is started, the working directory is not
<JBoss Install Directory>/bin.

Here is the exception:

[exec] org.jboss.deployment.DeploymentException: instantiating
org.jboss.web.catalina.EmbeddedCatalinaServ
ice41 failed: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/catalina/Context; -
nested throwable: (RuntimeErrorEx
ception: instantiating org.jboss.web.catalina.EmbeddedCatalinaService41 failed:
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError
: org/apache/catalina/Context
    [exec] Cause: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/catalina/Context)

RE: JBoss plugin - new modifications

Posted by Vincent Massol <vm...@pivolis.com>.

[snip]

> Perhaps there should be a maven.jboss.version property and a j:if tag
> would check that in order to invoke the right JMX thing. I seem to
> recall that the url was something different before we upgraded to
3.0.x...

> <j:if test="${maven.jboss.version == '3.0.x'}">
>   the stuff we have now...
> </j:if>
> <j:if test="${maven.jboss.version == '3.2.x'}">
>   whatever is appropriate for 3.2.x...
> </j:if>

Sure. I have now introduced this property but I still don't have the
patch for JMX stuff with 3.2.x. Anyone?

Thanks
-Vincent

Re: JBoss plugin - new modifications

Posted by James CE Johnson <jc...@tragus.org>.

Posted by Vincent Massol <vm...@pivolis.com>.

I don't think we're talking about the same thing. Or I do not understand
the question. The main goal of the jboss plugin (at least when I created
it) was to package a JBoss server configuration (you know, the configs
you find in JBOSS_HOME/server/<configname>) and provide a tar.gz or zip
of it.

It means including in <config>/deploy/ the modules to deploy (static
deployment). The ones marked with <jboss.bundle> will be copied there.

The second part of the jboss plugin is the dynamic deployment (using
JMX). This, I personally don't use ATM.

> Befor asking this question I though Is't you project layout going to
look
> like:
>
>   -jboss1
>   -jboss2
>   -jbossK

I would expect a very small number of jboss configurations. Most
projects have only one.

>   -ejb1
>   -ejb2
>   -ejbN
>   -war1
>   -war2
>  -warM
>  -ear1
>  -ear2
>  -earK
>  -earK

yep

> But now I get lost and not sure what you are going to do

:-)

> What for do you need other dependencies? Can you just give an exaple
what
> you are going to
> achieve?

Static deployments.

Posted by Michal Maczka <mm...@interia.pl>.

Posted by Vincent Massol <vm...@pivolis.com>.

Posted by Michal Maczka <mm...@interia.pl>.

Posted by Vincent Massol <vm...@pivolis.com>.

So what you are saying is that there is either a bug in the current ejb
and ear plugin (because they use the same name) or it is missing a
getDependency(String fullArtifactName, String artifactType)

Which one do we choose to fix?

Thanks
-Vincent

Posted by Willie Vu <ct...@ust.hk>.