Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> on 2013/06/11 16:03:41 UTC

Draft blog post: Selling and Buying OpenOffice CDs

https://blogs.apache.org/preview/OOo/?previewEntry=selling_and_buying_openoffice_cds

Another FAQ-type post, since we get regular questions on this topic.

But I see Kay has also started a discussion on the list related to
reviving the distributor page on the website.  So I'll hold-off
posting this to see if that discussion leads to something new to tell
the sellers.

Regards,

-Rob

Re: Draft blog post: Selling and Buying OpenOffice CDs

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 7:03 AM, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:

> https://blogs.apache.org/preview/OOo/?previewEntry=selling_and_buying_openoffice_cds
>

> Another FAQ-type post, since we get regular questions on this topic.
>
> But I see Kay has also started a discussion on the list related to
> reviving the distributor page on the website.  So I'll hold-off
> posting this to see if that discussion leads to something new to tell
> the sellers.
>
> Regards,
>
> -Rob

This is good and worthwhile. If we could wait a few days -- maybe mid-week
next week? -- on this, we might have some additional news re reviving the
CD Distribution area.

MzK

"You can't believe one thing and do another.
 What you believe and what you do are the same thing."
                             -- Leonard Peltier

Re: Draft blog post: Selling and Buying OpenOffice CDs

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 5:58 AM, Hagar Delest <ha...@laposte.net>wrote:

> Le 11/06/2013 18:01, RGB ES a écrit :
>
>  There is a firefox extension that provides checksums. I'm not sure how it
>> works, though.
>>

> Here it is: https://addons.mozilla.org/en/**firefox/addon/md5-reborned-**
> hasher/ <https://addons.mozilla.org/en/firefox/addon/md5-reborned-hasher/>
> Seems rather straightforward.
>
> But a script embedded somewhere in the download page would take care of
> users not using FF.
>
> Hagar

Thanks for this info...

MzK

"Normal is not something to aspire to, it is something to get away from."

-- Jodie Foster

Re: Draft blog post: Selling and Buying OpenOffice CDs

Posted by Hagar Delest <ha...@laposte.net>.

Posted by RGB ES <rg...@gmail.com>.
2013/6/11 Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>

> On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 11:39 AM, Donald Whytock <dw...@apache.org>
> wrote:
> > On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 11:33 AM, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:

> proofed?
> >> >

> >> At this point, looking more for content/message review.  Does this
> >> answer the questions that we are receiving?  Any additional points we
> >> should make?
> >>

> > Checksum verification, perhaps?  Apache does not warrant or guarantee
> > anything Not Invented Here, so to make certain your purchased copy is
> > correct you can follow the steps linked <here>?
>
> That's an important one.  Unfortunately getting someone (non-Linux
> user) to install an MD5 checksum tool is non-trivial and as such will
> tend not to be done.
>
> Something I've wondered ... Is it possible at all to implement a
> checksum calculator that runs locally in Javascript?  The tool would
> ask the user to browse for their download, calc the checksum, and
> then, based on the filename, retrieve the expected checksum from the
> website and compare the two.  Until we make it as easy as that I think
> end-users will never do it.

There is a firefox extension that provides checksums. I'm not sure how it
works, though.

Regards
Ricardo

Posted by Donald Whytock <dw...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 11:48 AM, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 11:39 AM, Donald Whytock <dw...@apache.org>
> wrote:
> > On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 11:33 AM, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:

> proofed?
> >> >

> >> At this point, looking more for content/message review.  Does this
> >> answer the questions that we are receiving?  Any additional points we
> >> should make?
> >>

> > Checksum verification, perhaps?  Apache does not warrant or guarantee
> > anything Not Invented Here, so to make certain your purchased copy is
> > correct you can follow the steps linked <here>?
>
> That's an important one.  Unfortunately getting someone (non-Linux
> user) to install an MD5 checksum tool is non-trivial and as such will
> tend not to be done.
>
> Something I've wondered ... Is it possible at all to implement a
> checksum calculator that runs locally in Javascript?  The tool would
> ask the user to browse for their download, calc the checksum, and
> then, based on the filename, retrieve the expected checksum from the
> website and compare the two.  Until we make it as easy as that I think
> end-users will never do it.

I like that.  Since all Apache downloads I've seen have MD5 keys, this
seems like something that would be useful foundation-wide.  An Infra
request/suggestion?

Re: Draft blog post: Selling and Buying OpenOffice CDs

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Donald Whytock <dw...@apache.org>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Donald Whytock <dw...@apache.org>.