Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org> on 2006/06/29 10:55:03 UTC

[RTC] Clarification please from the PMC

There is a lot of work going on to migrate from Maven 1 to Maven 2 in our build.  A question came up
as to whether or not we needed [RTC] for that activity.  Please read an excerpt from David's e-mail
on the topic...

David Jencks wrote:
> AFAIK no one is planning to try to get 1.1 to build with m2.  I
> certainly don't feel like I have time to deal with the RTC process for
> something that requires zillions of trivial changes to get to work.

It would seem to me that the process for RTC would be to send an RTC about the Maven 1 -> 2
conversion with some preliminary ideas.   This type of activity is clearly incremental and highly
disruptive in nature potentially so here is how it would work.

[RTC] M1 - M2 converstion e-mail sent to dev
Developers review the "plan" (as not all changes are known) and they reach consensus about the
significant change.  They get they're +1s from the group and begin their work.

They continue their work posting status e-mails to the group but are not required to get 3 +1s on
every change but only changes where it would warrant some input (like changing directory layouts,
etc.)   Even these I see as informative and normal communication and not an [RTC] thread.

I believe the goal of RTC is to improve communication which in many instances it has.  In the spirit
of RTC we could complete the Maven 1 -> 2 conversion without large numbers of RTCs required.

I think this is inline but would like your clarification.

Recently I think Jeff requested an RTC to update the committers page which I think falls outside of
the RTC requirement so based on these two examples I believe there is still come confusion.

Cheers,

Matt

Re: [RTC] Clarification please from the PMC

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
> David Jencks wrote:
>> AFAIK no one is planning to try to get 1.1 to build with m2.  I
>> certainly don't feel like I have time to deal with the RTC process
>> for something that requires zillions of trivial changes to get to
>> work.

I think we should target the conversion for trunk, and after that is
completed we can evaluate how much time/work is required to get 1.1
onto m2, but IMO the goal should be to get trunk migrated.

--jason

Re: [RTC] Clarification please from the PMC

Posted by Jeff Genender <jg...@apache.org>.

Jason Dillon wrote:
>>> Its a sad time when members of the community are scared to state their
>>> minds in fear of reprisal.
>>
>> Interesting comment, isn't this what started all of this to begin with?
>
> I can't say... not really understanding all of the issues that led us to
> this situation.  I know of an event at JavaOne that appears to have been
> the boiling point, but I have also heard of other instances which have
> not been fully disclosed that have helped bring us to this situation.

I believe a quick perusal of the lists will show discussion regarding
intimidation.  I believe this fits in with your comment about folks in
the community being scared to speak their minds in fear of reprisal.

This exchange gives a bit of background:

http://tinyurl.com/jdv55

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.

Posted by Jeff Genender <jg...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.

Posted by Aaron Mulder <am...@alumni.princeton.edu>.

Posted by John Sisson <jr...@gmail.com>.
Jason Dillon wrote:
>> 2. Not all communication regarding the fix is done in JIRA comments,
>> therefore people reviewing the fix have to search the mailing lists
>> and JIRA reducing the amount of time they have to actually review the
>> change.  This also makes it harder for people in the future who look
>> up the JIRA and only see half the picture.
>>
>> *Action* To prevent communication regarding patches under RTC being
>> conducted outside of JIRA, I suggest that a combination of the
>> previous suggestion and having "[RTC]" as the first characters of the
>> JIRA summary should be sufficient ( no need to send a mail to the dev
>> list, as it only encourages people to communicate on the dev list
>> rather than in JIRA ).  When the JIRA is closed, the [RTC] characters
>> can be removed from the summary to make it suitable for the release
>> notes.  Comments?
>
> JIRA is not a discussion forum... maybe it should have that feature,
> but it doesn't.  I agree that the major details and comments should be
> captured in the issue, but I do not believe that the issue should be
> used to facilitate discussion.
It may not have been clear, bud a mail to the list describing what they
plan to do, why the change is needed etc (this information should also
be in the JIRA description), so everyone is aware of what you are
working on and everyone has the opportunity to provide some input before
you spend a lot of time coding up the new feature.  If there is
disagreement amongst developers about the feature you are working on,
then hot I was referring to communication once a JIRA has been marked
for RTC.  I was imagining that when someone is working on a new feature
they will first create a JIRA for what they are working on and
senpefully those disagreements will be resolved before it moves to the
RTC phase (before everyone takes the time to build and test).  Once it
moves into the RTC phase, I was suggesting all communication be in the
JIRA so it is easy to correlate votes and see the status of the RTC. I
have seen other projects use JIRA/Bugzilla's commenting feature more
heavily than we do without a problem.

Would be interested in hearing other's views on whether these sound like
reasonable guidelines.

> Use email, and if needed attach a link to the Nabble archive for the
> relevant conversations.
>

>> 3. There have been JIRAs for RTCs where in the mailing list they have
>> been described as a major enhancement, yet the JIRA does not even
>> have a description or comments.  The lack of information about the
>> changes in the JIRA makes it harder for others to review.  Lack of
>> information also means that it will be unlikely that the change will
>> be identified as needing to be documented in the manuals and possibly
>> migration information in the release notes.  Users picking up the
>> next release will see the JIRA entry and start asking "What is this
>> enhancement? "on the mailing list, adding to the load of everyone's
>> inbox.
>
> Generally I think that every issue should have a description.  Not
> really much point in creating an issue that does not have one...
Agree there isn't much point, but it has happened, and I am thinking we
need to be more explicit in our guidelines (do we have any formal
guidelines?) of what is required to make a change.  Not just that every
change should have a JIRA, but every change should have a JIRA and
adequate information in the JIRA for others to understand what the
change does, why it is needed, what the impact on users will be (if any)
etc.

>> 4. The lack of progress may be exacerbated by a number of PMC members
>> (myself included) being in different timezones where it is not always
>> suitable to discuss patches over IRC due to  the need to sleep or
>> other commitments :-)
>> *Action* We need to improve communication on mail lists and increase
>> documentation in JIRAs and Wiki to minimize dependence on IRC.
>
> I generally don't believe that we want to minimize (or even reduce)
> IRC usage.  It is a great tool that helps our community greatly by
> facilitating some aspects of communication.
Agree that it is useful, but I have seen many questions asked a number
of times by different people relating to changes that were made in the
past where if it was documented in the first place, the questions
probably wouldn't needed to be asked (saving everyone time that can be
better spent writing code etc).  I am trying to minimize the amount of
times people have to use IRC or email to ask about undocumented changes
that have been introduced.

> I do agree though, that we need to be sure that the relevant details
> make it back to the dev list.  In many ways I see that IRC is good to
> help facilitate the exchange of ideas that in the end will help build
> up a more comprehensive and thoughtful email to the dev list.

I agree with you that IRC is good for exchange of ideas (as long as it
makes it back to the dev list).

>> 5. The amount of spare time that PMC members can volunteer is finite
>> and the amount of spare time available may vary from person to person
>> due to their other commitments.
>> * Action* Discussion of Priorities..
>> Do people feel all RTC's should have the same priority? If not, how
>> would you justify one RTC request being more important than another?
>> Would it be fair to say some patches to be reviewed may be minor
>> changes that wouldn't prevent the development community from moving
>> forward if the review is postponed, whilst other patches may be
>> needed by a number of developers and the RTC is impeding further
>> development by the community?  Should we be considering prioritizing
>> RTC requests?
>
> NOTE: Once we get all [RTC] in JIRA, then it should be much easier to
> track which issues are out there pending and which are growing stale.
>
> IMO the important thing is that those who actually have binding votes
> be very diligent about working through the open RTC's so that we don't
> loose anything by having those issues go stale... or turn people off
> by the slow turn around of accepting their patch... and to avoid
> unneeded slowness that will incur when work is done, but pending
> finalization by RTC which is blocking future work... forcing one to be
> idle and wait for the RTC to go through.
>
>> Regarding the "clean tree" issue.... You can have have Geronimo
>> checked out in more than one directory, so have one directory for
>> your main development and one (or more if needed) for reviewing
>> patches.  You can even have separate maven local repositories if
>> needed by specifying the appropriate maven properties on the command
>> line.  It may take a bit of effort to get your environment set up to
>> do this simply, but it would probably be worth it in the long run.
>> Luckly we aren't using Visual SourceSafe that has the one checkout
>> per user limitation :-)
>
> Well, lets all have a good cheer that we are not using VSS.
>
> But, IMO it is more than just needing a separate tree (and probably
> IDE config, etc)... but more that folks need to context switch all
> over different parts of the system which they many not be experts in.
> This context switching is harmful to the progress in areas of the
> developers expertise... since they need to stop what they are doing,
> setup a clean room, apply some patches, understand what it is doing, etc.
>
> I forget who said it on the list, but there are also trust issues
> going on here.  I trust other developers who are domain experts in
> certain areas to frankly know their shit.  I do like to check what
> they are doing from time to time, but I certainly don't have time or
> energy to become domain experts in every domain (I think I might
> spontaneously combust if I tried).
Hopefully over time more people will become knowledgeable in some of
those domain expert areas.  The chances of that happening are going to
increase if there is more communication and documentation.

> I hope that we can in time reestablish this trust across the entire
> community.  With out that trust I think we are just going to be
> spinning our wheels... or just end up screwing ourselves (and not in
> any good way).
>

>> * The code in svn should always build.
>
> Amen!
>

>> In some cases the developer may have done a build and it was
>> successful, but when they committed the changes, they accidentally
>> left out a file from the commit.
>
> Well, that happens from time to time... and probably will continue to
> do so until everyone shares one single massive google filesystem for
> everything :-(

Shouldn't happen under RTC since others test the changes.
>> There were a number of times where people broke the build in their
>> last checkin when they were blurry-eyed and just about to head off to
>> sleep.  Developers in other timezones then wasted time either
>> debugging the problem, or waiting for the developer who checked in
>> the change to wake up or trying to find a revision that does build.
>
> Well, that is probably also going to continue from time to time.
> Hopefully we can reduce this, but... well not sure its possible to
> completely eliminate... unless everyone moves to California (the
> weather is nice) :-P
Thanks for taking the time to discuss this.

John

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
There was/is some bits on gbuild that is using Continuum... but I'm
unsure at this time how trustworthy the setup is (ie. can we trust
that a failure notice is really something broke or just something
transient).

Once the m2 build is square we should get a concrete CI setup to help
avoid future periods of build breakage.

--jason

Posted by Bryan Noll <bw...@gmail.com>.

Posted by John Sisson <jr...@gmail.com>.
Jason Dillon wrote:
> NOTE: My comments below are not directed towards anyone in
> particular... mostly this just expresses my frustration with some of
> the more harmful politics that Apache Geronimo has picked up over the
> past few months...
>
>> Although RTC has slowed down development a bit (or even more), it
>> will pay off very
>> soon.
>
> I think "slowed down development a bit (or even more)" is an
> understatement.  I believe that RTC has the development team running
> through molasses.  And in some cases has caused some patches and
> issues to get stuck in the tar.  Not really the types of things you
> want from a vibrant, active and positive community.
I agree development has slowed down and there were good reasons why RTC
was introduced, so lets try to find ways of working more effectively
with it.

>> We need to be very patient until more committers become PMC
>> members and their votes are binding.

I have similar frustrations with what Jacek said regarding with the
limited amount of spare time I have. The spare time I had was focused on
the oversight of the 1.1 release.  Now that 1.1 is out the door I will
try to get more involved in the RTC process.  Hopefully this will become
less of an issue when the PMC grows.

Some of the issues I currently see with the way we are working the
process (and some related issues) are:

1. Hard to tell what fixes are pending review.

*Action* I have started a new thread "[Proposal] Tracking the status of
patches under RTC (was Re: [RTC] Clarification please from the PMC)" to
discuss this.

[...]

*Action* I will start a new mail thread "[DISCUSS] Tracking
documentation tasks in JIRA ( was Re: [RTC] Clarification please from
the PMC )".

[...]

It may seem like I am trying to introduce more red tape, but I think it
will pay off in terms of improving communication regarding code changes
and improve the end product.  I look forward to some constructive
discussions.  I also think that developing agreed upon procedures that
ensure documentation is part of the development process will also help
the project operate more effectively in the long term.

> This will not remedy the fact that RTC rules dictate that patches must
> be applied and tested before a +1 can be given, which normally would
> have happened once when the *trusted* developer has applied the
> patch.  But now we need a gang of people to apply the patch, which
> usually means dropping any other work they were doing to get a clean
> tree and then apply the patch, pray that the build succeeds in a
> reasonable amount of time, running through a test case or two and then
> blowing it all away to get back to the work that they were actually
> doing before.
Regarding the "clean tree" issue.... You can have have Geronimo checked
out in more than one directory, so have one directory for your main
development and one (or more if needed) for reviewing patches.  You can
even have separate maven local repositories if needed by specifying the
appropriate maven properties on the command line.  It may take a bit of
effort to get your environment set up to do this simply, but it would
probably be worth it in the long run. Luckly we aren't using Visual
SourceSafe that has the one checkout per user limitation :-)

> I fail to see how this will increase anything but frustration of
> developers to have to jump through those hoops to get changes made....
> maybe it will increase communication about how frustrating RTC is
> though ;-)

I agree that RTC for the incremental m1 -> m2 changes is painful and
Matt's suggestion sounds reasonable to me.  Would like to hear Ken's
feelings.

Some of the benefits I see with developers having to jump through these
hoops for significant changes are:

* Developers have to document what they are working on so others can
test it.  I think it is a problem (for the project as a whole) when
developers commit code where they (or a small group of developers on the
project) are the only ones who understand how the code works and what it
means to the end user, especially if that information is only in their
heads.  If we want to become a "vibrant player in the app-server space"
we need to do more than push out code.  We need to be able to grow the
developer community, the user community also has to have faith in our
processes and the software needs to be usable.  If documentation for the
software is lacking then I don't think it is very usable (except for a
minority of users who are developers on the project).  Hernan and those
who have helped him getting the cwiki site going have set up a good
foundation for the documentation and I thank them for their efforts.  We
now need to start discussing how we can ensure documentation is part of
the development process to maximize communication between developers and
enable users to get the most out of Geronimo.

* The code in svn should always build. During the development of 1.0 and
1.1 there were long periods of time where builds were broken due to
people committing code without doing a build to test it.  In some cases
the developer may have done a build and it was successful, but when they
committed the changes, they accidentally left out a file from the
commit.  There were a number of times where people broke the build in

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.
This reflects my sentiments as well.

Regards,
Alan

Posted by Jeff Genender <jg...@apache.org>.

Jason Dillon wrote:
> Guys, I feel like I am allowed to state my opinions.
>
> I am not complaining (and a bit insulted that you think I am), but I
> believe that RTC is harmful for a few reasons.
>
> I also feel like some responses to mails I have sent are basically that
> I should shut-up (my words), which I do not appreciate.

Of course you have a right to speak your opinions, and they are
welcomed. The key really becomes how constructive they are.  Clearly RTC
is a PITA.  But it also was heavily needed to right ourselves from a
collaboration and communication perspective.  IMHO, I think it has been
successful, and once we have shown that we are working together better
as a team, I am sure we will be able to move back to CTS.

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.

Posted by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org>.

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl>.
On 6/29/06, Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com> wrote:
> NOTE: My comments below are not directed towards anyone in
> particular... mostly this just expresses my frustration with some of
> the more harmful politics that Apache Geronimo has picked up over the
> past few months...

I second your opinions, but that's how we operate and I can't do much
regarding this matter other than to spare some time and vote at least.
I think I'm not alone thinking that RTC is very painful, but some see
it as a remedy of our troublesome happenings in the past. We'll see
how it work out. The only thing I can do is to do my best to speed it
up a bit and be more active in RTCs (given my manager doesn't get me
swamped with other daily tasks that took me away for the past weeks).
Not mentioning there're lots of bugs reported.

> >> It would seem to me that the process for RTC would be to send an
> >> RTC about the Maven 1 -> 2
> >> conversion with some preliminary ideas.
>
> I'm confused now... how can one send a RTC w/o having a patch or
> patches for others to review?

Yes, you might've been confused as it's Matt's statement nor mine and
thus the origin of your confusion, isn't it?

> RTC is crippling Apache Geronimo's ability to become a vibrant player
> in the app-server space.  RTC has made us a Red Tape Community, where
> it takes weeks to get trivial changes implemented.
>
> The problem is made worse by the fact that most of the PMC members
> who we are supposed to coax into following RTC and voting in the
> changes are simply not available.  Not all of them mind you, but out
> of 10 PMC members I can only think of a few who have had time or
> desire to participate in the RTC and actually give their binding
> votes.  IMO the only way that RTC could possibly with is if the PMC
> members drop anything else they are working on and devote their time
> to applying patches, building and testing... BUT, I don't see that
> happening.  The people who are actually doing the work are for the
> most part not PMC members.  The people who are actually applying
> these patches are not PMC members.  Lucky enough though, I think that
> there are at least 3 PMC members who are being active, so there is a
> shot for us to get work done... its just going to be really slow
> moving.  At this rate, maybe we will have EJB3 support out by the
> time that EJB4 is dominant... or get out build working on m2 by the
> time m3 is out...

I have never been as active in open source projects (Apache Geronimo
and OpenEJB in particular) as I should've been. I haven't been able to
manage my daily workload wisely and  spare more time to work on these
OSSes at nights. At this point I'm completely overwhelmed with other
stuff meaning I don't have as much time as is required from me to
contribute. I see it as a threat to me being a PMC member. Do you
think I should step down having failed so often? I think it wouldn't
be forgiven at this point. I remember having discussion about a
distinction between a committer and PMC member. Some believed there's
none. Would you believe what might've happened once we introduced it.

When I made it to TSSJS in Barcelona, I spoke about it with others
(Dave, Matt, Aaron, James). Now, with a very few PMC members it's more
complicated to keep the pace as well as be forced to be more active in
Geronimo development when my time constraints have not changed. I'm
really, really frustrated (and even though you didn't mean to direct
your comments to anyone they're doing their job very well - many
thanks! ;-))

It's not my decision to activate RTC, which as far as I understand has
never proven itself to be successful, but that's reality we need to
live in. I believe, though, that it won't kill the project, but
strengthen.

On to my responsibilities as a
PMCer...testing...documenting...testing...testing...

> --jason

Jacek

--
Jacek Laskowski
http://www.laskowski.net.pl

Re: [RTC] Clarification please from the PMC

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl>.
On 6/29/06, Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org> wrote:
> There is a lot of work going on to migrate from Maven 1 to Maven 2 in our build.  A question came up
> as to whether or not we needed [RTC] for that activity.  Please read an excerpt from David's e-mail
> on the topic...
>
> David Jencks wrote:
> > AFAIK no one is planning to try to get 1.1 to build with m2.  I
> > certainly don't feel like I have time to deal with the RTC process for
> > something that requires zillions of trivial changes to get to work.

I was not happy to have read so and if Dave loses his pasion to do the
work how else will do it? That's true and that needs to be changed. As
a PMC member I don't think it's that bad. We're improving and the
number of emails recently dramatically increased that surely impact
how people follow what's being done in Geronimo. Although RTC has
slowed down development a bit (or even more), it will pay off very
soon. We need to be very patient until more committers become PMC
members and their votes are binding. Painful, but in the end it might
boost development significantly.

AFAIUI, the whole point of RTC is to ensure communication through
dev/user mailing lists rather than in closed circles.

> It would seem to me that the process for RTC would be to send an RTC about the Maven 1 -> 2
> conversion with some preliminary ideas.

+1

> [RTC] M1 - M2 converstion e-mail sent to dev
> Developers review the "plan" (as not all changes are known) and they reach consensus about the
> significant change.  They get they're +1s from the group and begin their work.

+1

> They continue their work posting status e-mails to the group but are not required to get 3 +1s on
> every change but only changes where it would warrant some input (like changing directory layouts,
> etc.)   Even these I see as informative and normal communication and not an [RTC] thread.

Since people are all engaged in the process or are at least interested
in following it, why would that be hard to reach 3 +1s? I don't see
it. Are you saying that once the plan is approved (with 3 binding
votes) the following steps wouldn't be as much important and wouldn't
get their 3 +1s? I think I'm mistaken and didn't get the point of your
suggestion?

> I believe the goal of RTC is to improve communication which in many instances it has.  In the spirit
> of RTC we could complete the Maven 1 -> 2 conversion without large numbers of RTCs required.

Right, but at the end of the day at least 3 people are fully
aware/familiar with how it really works, which is a good thing. I
think once the migration is over we will improve our communication
skills and RTC will become obsolete.

> Recently I think Jeff requested an RTC to update the committers page which I think falls outside of
> the RTC requirement so based on these two examples I believe there is still come confusion.

My understanding is that only trunk needs RTC unless it's a bug fix.
Documentation changes don't need RTC - they do improve communication
about the product so no need to ask for 3 +1s.

> Matt

Jacek

--
Jacek Laskowski