Posted to dev@tuweni.apache.org by Michael Wall <mj...@apache.org> on 2019/04/23 18:43:31 UTC

Semantic Versioning

Has there been any discussion on whether Tuweni will use semver
https://semver.org/?  I bring it up because I see work being done for the
first release.  Is the project ready for 1.0.0?

Mike

Re: Semantic Versioning

Posted by Kenneth Knowles <ke...@apache.org>.
FWIW I think it is valuable to have a vanity number at the front to
indicate if/when the whole concept changes. So then a.b.c.d where b is for
breaking changes, c is for features, d is for hotfixes, and 'a' basically
never changes except when the project changes in a fundamental way.

Leaving this off has left quite a few projects stagnant and unwilling to
make occasional minor breaking changes, IMO.

Kenn

Re: Semantic Versioning

Posted by Michael Wall <mj...@apache.org>.
Antoine,

The content looks good, I didn't try to release though.  I do like that you
documented it, so good work.

So I too would like to use semver.  Can we discuss whether everyone things
we are ready for 1.0.0 release.  Doing so defines the first public api,
https://semver.org/#spec-item-5 with less wiggle room until bumping the
version.  If the project is ready for that, great, just wanted to have that
discussion.

Thanks

Mike

Re: Semantic Versioning

Posted by Antoine Toulme <an...@toulme.name>.
How timely - I just pushed a first draft of release instructions here:
https://github.com/apache/incubator-tuweni/blob/master/RELEASE.md <https://github.com/apache/incubator-tuweni/blob/master/RELEASE.md>