Posted to xindice-dev@xml.apache.org by "Vladimir R. Bossicard" <vl...@bossicard.com> on 2002/10/09 04:00:23 UTC

Documentation and Website

Xindice 1.1 is (just...) around the corner and a lot of things need to
be done to update the documentation. To start the process I propose to
use Forrest (xml.apache.org/forrest) for both the website and the
documentation.

I have already made a small prototype for the Xindice website and it
looks very cool.

To get as many people involved as possible (not only Xindice committers)
we can set up a project on SourceForge to handle the documentation until
1.1 is out (after that the documentation should be quite stable and
would be imported into the Xindice repository).

Thoughts?

-Vladimir

--
Vladimir R. Bossicard
www.bossicard.com

Re: Documentation and Website

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.
Steven Noels wrote:

> vote on it and send a request to root@apache.org stating Vladimir's
> name, email address & preferred username, perhaps with a reference to
> the mailarchive thread of the vote
>
> I'd definitely +1 him.

oh - i was sleeping :-s

he was already voted upon, of course :-)

</Steven>

Re: Documentation and Website

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.

Posted by Kevin Ross <Ke...@iVerticalLeap.com>.
I don't think SF is the way to go.  You should be a committer.  I
believe there should be a subproject, something  like xindice-site, to
contain the documentation.  As soon as that is in the apache cvs, I'll
throw my 2 cents into the docs.

Fern, how do we add Vladimir as a committer?

-K

Posted by "Vladimir R. Bossicard" <vl...@bossicard.com>.

Posted by Kevin Ross <Ke...@iVerticalLeap.com>.

Posted by "Vladimir R. Bossicard" <vl...@bossicard.com>.
> Note that it is still in a very pliable form though.  In the future, it
> may need a little work when there is a forrest 1.0

One of the goals if to give feedback to the Forrest group to help them
create a solution as easy as possible. Since most of the developers
don't have the time (envy) to learn all the technology involved in
Forrest to generate their website.

Currently what I'm doing is:
- Forrest CVS is checked out into a directory (somewhere)
- I have written some .xml files into the
src/documentation/content/xdocs folder
- I call forrest.sh to generate the website.

Since I haven't modified anything in Forrest as long as the content's
definition stays the same I won't have any problem upgrading to Forrest
1.0 (by cvs) and regenerate the website.

-Vladimir

Posted by Kevin Ross <Ke...@iVerticalLeap.com>.
I believe forrest is a good choice.  It will be easy for committers from
other projects to contribute since they have a common content model.