Posted to dev@slider.apache.org by Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vi...@apache.org> on 2017/08/07 21:44:34 UTC

Send periodic updates of the cross project effort - Slider and YARN Native Services?

Hi all,

As you all know, there was a cross-posted discussion on Slider and YARN dev lists [1] and an earlier discussion on the Slider dev list [2] about moving the core of the Slider project into Apache Hadoop YARN.

Being part of both Slider and the Hadoop YARN communities, I personally do know that there is a lot of work that is happening in Apache Hadoop YARN project to finish the module move of Slider [3] but it is a completely opaque process from the point of view of this community.

Can we send periodic dev-list updates demonstrating the current progress in this process? This way, we can collectively understand where we are in the process and how we can transition off.

[1] [DISCUSS] YARN-5079 : Native YARN framework layer for services and Apache Slider http://markmail.org/message/2tnbxmuarzj6fn26
[2] [DISCUSS] Next Steps for Slider & First-Class Services in YARN (YARN-4692) https://s.apache.org/0hoh
[3] [Umbrella] Native YARN framework layer for services and beyond https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/YARN-5079

Thanks
+Vinod

Re: Send periodic updates of the cross project effort - Slider and YARN Native Services?

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.
Vinod,

Thanks for bringing this up.  Personally, I am concerned about the state of Slider and whether it makes sense for them to continue to be an Incubator project.

If you are actively working on features with Hadoop YARN, and not on the slider codebase, then it makes sense for us to shut down this project, indicating that the remains have been integrated into Hadoop as some YARN enhancements.

John