Posted to dev@turbine.apache.org by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org> on 2004/10/17 05:43:31 UTC

Crypto Impl

Isn't it a bit 'heavy' to include the JavaMail system, just for Base64
encodings?

I suggest that org.apache.commons.codec.binary.Base64 is used instead from
jakarta-commons.

I suspect that there are other javamail deps for the same/similar reason.

Cheers
Niclas

--
   +------//-------------------+
  / http://www.bali.ac        /

Re: Crypto Impl

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Monday 18 October 2004 04:10, Henning P. Schmiedehausen wrote:

> You are just walking around spreading FUD.

Sometimes I wonder about opinionated people's motivations.

1. Criticism about what is wrong without saying what is right (and not only in
an isolated context.)

2. Haggling over people who make an effort without lifting a finger is not the
"Apache Way", either. "Don't throw stones when you are in a glass house."

3. There is an ASF consensus that all ASF projects are going to be
Frinds-of-Gump. If you have a problem with that, bring it to community@
(oops, that is 'noise', so better not) or the board@ (oops, they are too busy
for small time complaints like this), so maybe general@gump.apache.org. Hey,
why not a private mail to Stefano. He cares. He can excempt Turbine/Fulcrum
from the Gump world.

4. CVS is there to allow for people working together to get things working
properly before releases. So we are not talking about breaking compatibility
at all, we are in fact talking about the opposite. Gump is building from CVS
to allow detection of compatibility issues (the recent Xalan repackaging
change is a testament to the Power of Gump).

So, either explain in nicely tone and attitude, why the changes won't work,
and what will work with *all* tools involved, or stop bashing me for making
an effort. Feel free to revert the codebase, and fix the Gump issues
yourself. However, unlike Your Friendliness, we *will* not blindly criticize
efforts, and give any help that is required to get going with Gump.

If you happen to work on Cactus as well (which is one of the showstoppers from
other Turbine builds), we would really like to get your help on the issues
about it;
http://brutus.apache.org/gump/public/jakarta-cactus/jakarta-cactus-framework-13/gump_work/build_jakarta-cactus_jakarta-cactus-framework-13.html

Cheers
Niclas

P.S. For the record, Fulcrum didn't build and pass its own unittest prior to
my changes either, but stopping at failure is turned off.

--
   +------//-------------------+
  / http://www.bali.ac        /

RE: Crypto Impl

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

Wow - nice and friendly!

> If
> you would have looked at our code for just a second, you would have
> noticed, that there is a profound reason for using
> javax.mail.internet.MimeUtility. Hint: The class is called
> "OldJavaCrypt".
>
> >I suspect that there are other javamail deps for the same/similar
reason.

> You are clueless and have no idea. You never ever looked at the code
> you are talking about. You are just walking around spreading FUD.
> Either look at the code and educate yourself before you speak up or go
> away.

Why are you exposing implementations?  I though the api was there to
isolate clients from changes.

Steve.

Re: Crypto Impl

Posted by "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <hp...@intermeta.de>.
Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org> writes:

>Isn't it a bit 'heavy' to include the JavaMail system, just for Base64
>encodings?

>I suggest that org.apache.commons.codec.binary.Base64 is used instead from
>jakarta-commons.

Niclas,

unlike other projects that may or may not be a part of the ASF, the
Turbine project cares about backward compatibility and our users. If
you would have looked at our code for just a second, you would have
noticed, that there is a profound reason for using
javax.mail.internet.MimeUtility. Hint: The class is called
"OldJavaCrypt".

>I suspect that there are other javamail deps for the same/similar reason.

You are clueless and have no idea. You never ever looked at the code
you are talking about. You are just walking around spreading FUD.
Either look at the code and educate yourself before you speak up or go away.

	Regards
		Henning

                                    Open Source Software Development"