Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Lorenz <lo...@yahoo.com> on 2015/05/18 15:54:03 UTC

getting desperate because of assumed regression after 1.8.11 (was: Can someone please verfiy this "svn -v st" behaviour with file externals?)

Hi all,

I'm getting desperate because I think I've spotted a bug/regression in
svn since 1.8.11 and in spite of several post about the topic (both to
users and dev) noone seem interested in verifying or rejecting my
report.

--

Lorenz

Re: getting desperate because of assumed regression after 1.8.11

Posted by Philip Martin <ph...@wandisco.com>.
Stefan Sperling <st...@elego.de> writes:

> On Mon, May 18, 2015 at 01:54:03PM +0000, Lorenz wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm getting desperate because I think I've spotted a bug/regression in
>> svn since 1.8.11 and in spite of several post about the topic (both to
>> users and dev) noone seem interested in verifying or rejecting my
>> report.
>
> I can reproduce based on your script. Please file an issue.
> Thanks for your bug report, and for being so patient, and for not giving up :)

After a quick scan of the log for likely candidates the culprit appears
to be:

r1660023 | svn-role | 2015-02-16 04:01:29 +0000 (Mon, 16 Feb 2015) | 13 lines

Merge the 1.8.x-issue4411 branch:

 * r1513479, r1625522
   Fix issue #4411, 'parent-relative file external can corrupt working copy'.
   Justification:
     Broken working copies are bad.
   Notes:
     This also adds a test case for issue #4519 which was fixed in 1.8.11.
   Branch:
     ^/subversion/branches/1.8.x-issue4411
   Votes:
     +1: stsp, rhuijben, stefan2

With r1660022:

At revision 2.
                 2        2 pm           wc
                 2        1 pm           wc/e
    X            2        1 pm           wc/em
                 2        2 pm           wc/s
    X            2        1 pm           wc/s/es

With r1660023:

At revision 2.
                 2        2 pm           wc
                 2        1 pm           wc/e
    X            2       ?   ?           wc/em
                 2        2 pm           wc/s
    X            2       ?   ?           wc/s/es

--
Philip Martin | Subversion Committer
WANdisco // *Non-Stop Data*

Re: getting desperate because of assumed regression after 1.8.11 (was: Can someone please verfiy this "svn -v st" behaviour with file externals?)

Posted by Stefan Sperling <st...@elego.de>.
On Mon, May 18, 2015 at 01:54:03PM +0000, Lorenz wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm getting desperate because I think I've spotted a bug/regression in
> svn since 1.8.11 and in spite of several post about the topic (both to
> users and dev) noone seem interested in verifying or rejecting my
> report.

I can reproduce based on your script. Please file an issue.
Thanks for your bug report, and for being so patient, and for not giving up :)

I used this command sequence with 'svn' built from trunk:

[[[
svnadmin create /tmp/repos

mkdir -p /tmp/wcwmain/sub
echo empty > /tmp/wc/empty.txt

svn import -m "" wc file:///tmp/repos
svn checkout --force file:///tmp/repos /tmp/wc

svn propset svn:externals "^/empty.txt empty-main.txt" /tmp/wc
svn propset svn:externals "^/empty.txt empty-sub.txt" /tmp/wc/sub
svn commit -m "" /tmp/wc

svn checkout file:///tmp/repos /tmp/wc2
svn -v status /tmp/wc2

svn update /tmp/wc2
svn -v st /tmp/wc2
]]]

+ svn -v status /tmp/wc2
                 2        2 stsp         /tmp/wc2
    X            2        1 stsp         /tmp/wc2/empty-main.txt
                 2        1 stsp         /tmp/wc2/empty.txt
+ svn update /tmp/wc2
Updating 'wc2':

Fetching external item into 'wc2/empty-main.txt':
External at revision 2.

At revision 2.
+ svn -v st /tmp/wc2
                 2        2 stsp         /tmp/wc2
    X            2       ?   ?           /tmp/wc2/empty-main.txt
                 2        1 stsp         /tmp/wc2/empty.txt

Posted by Lorenz <lo...@yahoo.com>.
Lorenz wrote:

>[...]
>>I have a problem with "svn -v status" showing an unexpected result for
>>file externals.
>>
>>This seems to be a regression that happended with svn 1.8.12/13
>[...]

this ended up as Issue 4580, got fixed and ported to 1.8.x and 1.9.x.

Thanks guys

I've run tests with a nightly build of TSVN (build against the 1.9.x
branch) from last night, and can confirm that file externals are
working again.
--

Lorenz