Posted to dev@bval.apache.org by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com> on 2011/05/06 02:36:25 UTC

Where to, Bean Validation?

All,
The Apache Incubator is an entry point for bringing new projects into the Apache Software Foundation. It's not a final resting point, however... So, my question for the community is what would you like to do? You've had 3 successful releases. The community has grown. It's time to discuss what you'd like to do next.

When initially proposed, one possibility was for the project to graduate as a subproject of Apache Commons (replacing or becoming the 2.0 version of the Validator subproject). If the community prefers, you can consider becoming a top-level project. Or perhaps there are other TLP's you'd like to join?

First step is to decide what you'd like to do...

--kevan

Re: Where to, Bean Validation?

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.
yup +1 for TLP

There are quite a few other TLPs which are depending on BVAL.
And it has it's own TCK and time frame. All in all JSR-303 has well specified edges and connections to other EE specs.
Commons is more the brew_your_own_stuff thingy and I'm not sure if all the TCK stuff would fit for them.

LieGrue,
strub

Re: Where to, Bean Validation?

Posted by Gerhard Petracek <ge...@gmail.com>.
+1 for a top-level project

Re: Where to, Bean Validation?

Posted by Jeremy Bauer <te...@gmail.com>.
I missed this discussion earlier.  +1 for a TLP.

-Jeremy

Re: Where to, Bean Validation?

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
On Jun 4, 2011, at 9:33 AM, Niall Pemberton wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 4, 2011 at 12:08 PM, Gerhard Petracek <gp...@apache.org> wrote:
>> imo they can join the effort in any case. i won't use project borders as an
>> argument (since we are still within the asf).
>
> +1 - commons knew about this incubating effort and could have joined in.
>
> I would say the only reason to go to commons would be if there were
> not enough active people for a TLP to function. If there are then a
> TLP would be better IMO.

Agreed. Also, the bar for a sub-project is perhaps a bit lower than a TLP. Either way, the community will need to drive graduation. It won't happen on it's own.

--kevan

Re: Where to, Bean Validation?

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
I'd like to see the community coming to some sort of conclusion (and acting on that conclusion :).

I think the majority felt that a TLP was best. Some others felt a Commons sub-project would be best. I'm fine with either outcome. I'll note that I do not plan on participating in the bval community post-graduation (beyond continuing in a mentor's role to insure a successful transition for the project).

Members of the community (volunteers?) will have to drive the graduation process. If we aren't willing to do this, well then maybe graduation is not an appropriate next step for Bean Validation...

--kevan

Re: Where to, Bean Validation?

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Jun 4, 2011 at 12:08 PM, Gerhard Petracek <gp...@apache.org> wrote:
> imo they can join the effort in any case. i won't use project borders as an
> argument (since we are still within the asf).

+1 - commons knew about this incubating effort and could have joined in.

I would say the only reason to go to commons would be if there were
not enough active people for a TLP to function. If there are then a
TLP would be better IMO.

Niall

Re: Where to, Bean Validation?

Posted by Gerhard Petracek <gp...@apache.org>.