Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> on 2001/09/11 07:44:10 UTC

Re: and/or in background

On Fri, 24 Aug 2001, Stefan Tilkov <st...@zurich.com> wrote:

> I have also noticed that parallel processing is a feature that is
> going to be included in future ant versions, but I'm pretty much
> forced to use a released version.

So you have that feature in Ant 1.4 now.

Problem is that the parallel processing ends when Ant is finished, so
it doesn't really do what you need.  We've talked about the platform
specific implementation of a "detach a process", but never went so far
to actually do it 8-)

> I could also code this myself.

Go ahead.

> My current thinking is that an additional parameter of the form
> mentioned above [background={true|false}] would suffice,

I'd prefer detach myself, but don't have a strong opinion on that.

> and I would try to avoid changing the existing tasks by subclassing
> one of them.

This functionality should probably either go into Execute (a helper
class used by all <exec>like tasks and <java fork="true">) or a
separate class but not into a task itself.  The add the background
attribute to <exec> and <java>, no need to subclass IMHO, you may want
to have a background attribute for <apply> as well some day ...

Stefan