Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Patrick Nelson <pn...@neatech.com> on 2004/07/05 20:44:31 UTC

FC1 and SVN

FC1 Up2date...

I was wanting to load up the latest rpm from subversion.tigris.org and
they have rpms there for FC1.  But, when I went to install them (just
the basic to start with -> apr, apr-util, neon, and subversion), I get
dependency problems.  As I tried to update apr and apr-util but find
that these need db42:

error: Failed dependencies:
 db42-devel is needed by apr-util-devel-0.9.5-0.4
 libdb-4.2.so is needed by apr-util-0.9.5-0.4

So I tried to rpm -Uvh db42 rpm and also rpm -ivh it but:

Preparing... ########################################### [100%]
-file /usr/include/db4/db.h from install of db42-devel-4.2.52-0.1
 conflicts with file from package db4-devel-4.1.25-14
-file /usr/include/db4/db_185.h from install of db42-devel-4.2.52-0.1
 conflicts with file from package db4-devel-4.1.25-14
-file /usr/include/db4/db_cxx.h from install of db42-devel-4.2.52-0.1
 conflicts with file from package db4-devel-4.1.25-14
-file /usr/lib/libdb.so from install of db42-devel-4.2.52-0.1
 conflicts with file from package db4-devel-4.1.25-14

So if both of these (-Uvh and -ivh) result in a conflict, how do I
install this db42 package?  I think this is the Sleepy Cat DB so, if
there is a way to install it is this going to impact other apps that
utilize the db app?  I did try to rpm -ev but of course a lot of things
rely on the db4 package.  Anyone have any suggestions?

TIA

Re: FC1 and SVN

Posted by Ravi Shekhar <rx...@po.cwru.edu>.
David Summers wrote:

>On Tue, 6 Jul 2004, Ravi Shekhar wrote:
>

>>Just offhand, I had a lot of trouble running a subversion server through
>>apache on FC1, in the end giving up. When I tried the same config in
>>FC2, or any other system, it worked flawlessly, so it leads me to
>>believe there is some problem with either the FC1 apache or perhaps the
>>subversion rpms compiled against it.
>>

>What problems did you have?  Can you detail them?  I would like to fix as
>many as possible.
>
>I don't run a server on FC1 (don't even have FC1 now) so I can try to fix
>them but someone else will have to test them out.
>
>If someone wants to take over maintenance of the
>subversion/packages/rpm/fedora directory (for FC1) please let me know.
>
>If you can maintain and produce the RPMs then I'll be glad to put them up
>on my server.

Well, this was a while ago, I'm guessing early/mid May. I was using 1.04
rpms and I couldn't get apache to "see" the repository. So something
like what's below. The problem was that it was acting like the
repository didn't exist, or permissions weren't right, basically File
Not Found errors "Could not open the requested SVN filesystem".
Permissions were correct, I checked at least twenty times. I'm not sure
why it happened. But since then I've moved to FC2, and I've had no
problems since. I don't really have a way to test FC1 now, so I don't
really know if I can be much help fixing the problem. For all I know,
these problems might not be occurring after 1.04.

Ravi

cd /home/apache
svnadmin create website
htpasswd -cs password $USER
chown -R apache:apache .

<Location /svn>
    DAV svn
    SVNParentPath /home/apache
    AuthType Basic
    AuthName "Subversion"
    AuthUserFile /home/apache/password
    Require valid-user
</Location>

Re: FC1 and SVN

Posted by David Summers <da...@summersoft.fay.ar.us>.

--
David Wayne Summers          "Linux: Because reboots are for hardware upgrades!"
david@summersoft.fay.ar.us   PGP Key: http://summersoft.fay.ar.us/~david/pgp.txt

Re: FC1 and SVN

Posted by Ravi Shekhar <ra...@case.edu>.
Patrick Nelson wrote:

>FC1 Up2date...
>
>I was wanting to load up the latest rpm from subversion.tigris.org and
>they have rpms there for FC1.  But, when I went to install them (just
>the basic to start with -> apr, apr-util, neon, and subversion), I get
>dependency problems.  As I tried to update apr and apr-util but find
>that these need db42:
>
>error: Failed dependencies:
> db42-devel is needed by apr-util-devel-0.9.5-0.4
> libdb-4.2.so is needed by apr-util-0.9.5-0.4
>
>So I tried to rpm -Uvh db42 rpm and also rpm -ivh it but:
>
>Preparing... ########################################### [100%]
>-file /usr/include/db4/db.h from install of db42-devel-4.2.52-0.1
> conflicts with file from package db4-devel-4.1.25-14
>-file /usr/include/db4/db_185.h from install of db42-devel-4.2.52-0.1
> conflicts with file from package db4-devel-4.1.25-14
>-file /usr/include/db4/db_cxx.h from install of db42-devel-4.2.52-0.1
> conflicts with file from package db4-devel-4.1.25-14
>-file /usr/lib/libdb.so from install of db42-devel-4.2.52-0.1
> conflicts with file from package db4-devel-4.1.25-14
>
>So if both of these (-Uvh and -ivh) result in a conflict, how do I
>install this db42 package?  I think this is the Sleepy Cat DB so, if
>there is a way to install it is this going to impact other apps that
>utilize the db app?  I did try to rpm -ev but of course a lot of things
>rely on the db4 package.  Anyone have any suggestions?
>
>TIA

The trick is to not use install the devel packages. That seemed to work
for me back when I was using FC1. So, subversion, neon, apr, apr-util,
and db42 should take care of it. I run FC2 now, but that seems to be
what I remember.

Re: FC1 and SVN

Posted by Martin Tomes <li...@tomes.org>.
Patrick Nelson wrote:

> FC1 Up2date...
>
> I was wanting to load up the latest rpm from subversion.tigris.org and
> they have rpms there for FC1.  But, when I went to install them (just
> the basic to start with -> apr, apr-util, neon, and subversion), I get
> dependency problems.  As I tried to update apr and apr-util but find
> that these need db42:
>
> error: Failed dependencies:
>  db42-devel is needed by apr-util-devel-0.9.5-0.4
>  libdb-4.2.so is needed by apr-util-0.9.5-0.4
>
> So I tried to rpm -Uvh db42 rpm and also rpm -ivh it but:

I think you want rpm -ivh db42 because other stuff on Fedora 1 will still need bdb 4.1.

--
Martin Tomes
echo 'martin at tomes x org x uk'\

The Subversion Wiki is at http://www.subversionary.org/

Re: FC1 and SVN

Posted by Patrick Nelson <pn...@neatech.com>.
On Mon, 2004-07-05 at 14:02, Ryan Wilcox wrote:
> yum install subversion always works for me. From what I can tell,
> up2date uses yum internally, so it'll keep your package Up To Date.

Oops I use yum and not up2date...  I meant that FC1 was up to date.

Yum installs an older version -> 0.32.1 and I was wanting 1.0.5 (latest
FC1 rpms from subversion.tigris.org)

Re: FC1 and SVN

Posted by Ryan Wilcox <ry...@mac.com>.
On Jul 5, 2004, at 4:44 PM, Patrick Nelson wrote:

> FC1 Up2date...
>
> I was wanting to load up the latest rpm from subversion.tigris.org and
> they have rpms there for FC1.

yum install subversion always works for me. From what I can tell,
up2date uses yum internally, so it'll keep your package Up To Date.

Hope this helps,
_Ryan Wilcox

Re: FC1 and SVN

Posted by Toby Johnson <to...@etjohnson.us>.
Patrick Nelson wrote:

>So if both of these (-Uvh and -ivh) result in a conflict, how do I
>install this db42 package?  I think this is the Sleepy Cat DB so, if
>there is a way to install it is this going to impact other apps that
>utilize the db app?  I did try to rpm -ev but of course a lot of things
>rely on the db4 package.  Anyone have any suggestions?

It sounds like whoever packaged your db4 or db42 RPMs didn't do it quite
right. It appears to your OS that these are two completely unrelated
packages that are trying to step on each others' files, instead of one
package being an upgrade to the other. Probably has to do with the fact
that the second one is named "db42" instead of "db4-4.2.something".

Your have several options at this point:
1. Do an "rpm --erase --nodeps" on the existing db4 package. The
--nodeps means go ahead even if you're breaking dependencies. Yes, a lot
of stuff depends on the package, but you're about to install the newer
package so (hopefully) everything should be OK. Make a note of the
dependencies, and if any of them are broken afterwards, go back to the
4.1 package.

2. Do an "rpm -i --nodeps" on the Subversion RPM. Using --nodeps on an
install means don't check to make sure all dependencies are resolved.
Even though the RPM system thinks it is missing stuff, db 4.1 is there
so you should be OK.

3. Build the Subversion RPM from the source RPM. My FC1 box currently
has subversion-1.0.4 installed which I got from the DAG repository at
http://dag.wieers.com/apt/ . The DAG repository always has more
up-to-date packages than the official channels. I highly recommend
adding it to your up2date configuration; see the "Getting Started" link
at the URL above. In the case of Subversion, I built it from the source
RPM (they currently have 1.0.5; I just haven't gotten around to
installing yet, but since I don't use svnserve it's not as big a deal).
You can get the source RPM from them at
http://dag.wieers.com/packages/subversion/ (grab
subversion-1.0.5-1.test.src.rpm). Building source RPMs lets you
fine-tune some things like dependencies but still lets you have the
convenience of using the RPM system. I am using Subversion-1.0.4 with
the "official" db4-4.1.25 FC1 package.