Posted to dev@couchdb.apache.org by Dave Cottlehuber <dc...@jsonified.com> on 2013/07/18 17:48:13 UTC

[1.4] windows builds -- join the fun**

Hi folks,

I'd like to use 1.4 to get a few more people up to speed on how the
windows build process works**, with the longer term aim of removing
myself as a critical bus factor for the project, and having a group of
Windows-friendly people to work on the roadmap towards Couch+Merges,
where we can ditch most of my current approach and move to erlang
releases and simpler/better tooling. Yay!

Here's what you need:

    - include your TZ ; http://s.apache.org/tz1 is useful
    - how you like to walk through the process
       eg if you want a G+ hangout, skype call, prefer irc, email…

- any recent windows box that has SDK 7.1 installed (no XP please)
- you don't mind installing cygwin *and* mingw and some other stuff added to it
- follow this http://s.apache.org/couchdb-glazier-docs
- please report any embarassing fails to this thread

You need ~ 12 GB disk space for a full install & all bits, but minimum
RAM and only a single core.

ASF committers are welcome to sign up for a free MSDN licence (no
strings or costs attached) and you'll get a free ec2 micro equivalent
instance in the azure cloud. Pretty good deal -- you can even run
linux on it!

A+
Dave

** where fun and work are closely related to your desire for pain and
self-inflicted punishment

Re: [1.4] windows builds -- join the fun**

Posted by Alexander Shorin <kx...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Jul 19, 2013 at 12:42 AM, Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org> wrote:
> On 18 July 2013 20:54, Alexander Shorin <kx...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> [+] Skype, IRC and email are ok for me. Never tried G+ hangouts.
>> However, I feel the best experience could be reached with video+text
>> conference: video for desktop sharing and process live view and text
>> for backlog. Skype allows to share desktop and continue with chat.
>

> Hangouts lets you do this too, with the added option of recording the whole
> thing!

So this should be awesome option then since afaik skype recording
isn't trivial thing.

--
,,,^..^,,,

Re: [1.4] windows builds -- join the fun**

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.

Posted by Alexander Shorin <kx...@gmail.com>.
Hi Dave!

That's great proposal!

[+++] Very interested!

> - include your TZ ; http://s.apache.org/tz1 is useful

[+] UTC+4 is for me, but time is not a problem

>  - how you like to walk through the process eg if you want a G+ hangout, skype call, prefer irc, email…

[+] Skype, IRC and email are ok for me. Never tried G+ hangouts.
However, I feel the best experience could be reached with video+text
conference: video for desktop sharing and process live view and text
for backlog. Skype allows to share desktop and continue with chat.

> - any recent windows box that has SDK 7.1 installed (no XP please)

[+] Win2k3 and Win7 boxes are ready with required tool chain.

> - you don't mind installing cygwin *and* mingw and some other stuff added to it
> - follow this http://s.apache.org/couchdb-glazier-docs
> - please report any embarassing fails to this thread

[+] Done, Done, nothing seriously wrong was there.

I'd also signed up for MSDN license, but don't know when it will arrive.

--
,,,^..^,,,

Posted by Alexander Shorin <kx...@gmail.com>.
Hi Joan!

On Sun, Jul 21, 2013 at 12:32 AM, Joan Touzet <wo...@apache.org> wrote:
>> ASF committers are welcome to sign up for a free MSDN licence (no
>> strings or costs attached) and you'll get a free ec2 micro equivalent
>> instance in the azure cloud. Pretty good deal -- you can even run
>> linux on it!
>
> Link?

Here is what Dave had shared with me:

,,,^..^,,,

Re: [1.4] windows builds -- join the fun**

Posted by Joan Touzet <wo...@apache.org>.
Hi dch :)

On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 05:48:13PM +0200, Dave Cottlehuber wrote:

OK, I can re-commit to helping here.

>     - include your TZ ; http://s.apache.org/tz1 is useful

EST5EDT

>     - how you like to walk through the process
>        eg if you want a G+ hangout, skype call, prefer irc, email…

I've done it before but haven't reviewed changes in over a year. I
prefer reading/writing text vs. a video walkthrough, but since I know
they are harder to produce, if you do a video walkthrough I can work on
a step-by-step walkthrough.

> - any recent windows box that has SDK 7.1 installed (no XP please)
> - you don't mind installing cygwin *and* mingw and some other stuff added to it
> - follow this http://s.apache.org/couchdb-glazier-docs
> - please report any embarassing fails to this thread

Will do, though I am travelling until August 1st.

> ASF committers are welcome to sign up for a free MSDN licence (no
> strings or costs attached) and you'll get a free ec2 micro equivalent
> instance in the azure cloud. Pretty good deal -- you can even run
> linux on it!

Link?

> ** where fun and work are closely related to your desire for pain and
> self-inflicted punishment

Right up my alley. ;)

--
Joan Touzet | joant@atypical.net | wohali everywhere else