Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "--[ UxBoD ]--" <ux...@splatnix.net> on 2011/01/22 13:45:26 UTC

[users@httpd] Password Protection Ignored

Hi,

I have a reports directory I wish to secure and have created the necessary .htaccess file:

AuthUserFile /www/security/somedomain_access
AuthType Basic
AuthName "Restricted Access"
Require user someuser

I believe my virtual host config is correct:

<VirtualHost *:80>
    ServerAdmin webmaster@somedomain.co.uk
    DocumentRoot "/www/somedomain.co.uk"
    <Directory /www/somedomain.co.uk/>
        AllowOverride All
    </Directory>

    ServerName www.somedomain.co.uk
    ServerAlias somedomain.co.uk

    ExpiresActive On
    ExpiresByType text/html "access plus 30 seconds"
    ExpiresByType text/css "access plus 2 weeks"
    ExpiresByType text/javascript "access plus 2 weeks"
    ExpiresByType image/png "access plus 1 month"
    ExpiresByType image/gif "access plus 1 month"
    ExpiresByType image/jpg "access plus 1 month"

    AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/html text/css text/xml application/x-javascript application/javascript application/xml

    BrowserMatch ^Mozilla/4 gzip-only-text/html
    BrowserMatch ^Mozilla/4\.0[678] no-gzip
    BrowserMatch \bMSIE !no-gzip !gzip-only-text/html

    DeflateCompressionLevel 6

    Header append Vary User-Agent

    ErrorLog "logs/www.somedomain.co.uk-error.log"
    CustomLog "logs/www.somedomain.co.uk-access.log" common
</VirtualHost>

Though when I navigate to http://www.somedomain.co.uk/reports/test.html I am never prompted for a user/password :( If I add some random text to .htaccess then I do receive a Server Error so the file is being processed.  Thoughts please ?
--
Thanks, Phil

Re: [users@httpd] Password Protection Ignored

Posted by Jeroen Geilman <je...@adaptr.nl>.
On 1/24/11 9:38 AM, --[ UxBoD ]-- wrote:

> [...]
Include logs from accesses so we can see what happens.
Also check if global or htaccess-based rewriting is going on anywhere.

--
J.

Re: [users@httpd] Password Protection Ignored

Posted by "--[ UxBoD ]--" <ux...@splatnix.net>.

> On 1/22/11 1:45 PM, --[ UxBoD ]-- wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a reports directory I wish to secure and have created the
> > necessary .htaccess file:
>
> Don't.
> Just use the configuration file if you have access to it.
>
> It will make life so much easier.
>

> --
> J.

I have tried as-well adding it directly to httpd-vhosts.conf and get the same result :( Here is the virtual host entry if anybody can see what I have done wrong :(

<VirtualHost *:80>
    ServerAdmin webmaster@somedomain.co.uk
    DocumentRoot "/www/somedomain.co.uk"

    <Directory /www/somedomain.co.uk/>
        AllowOverride All
    </Directory>

    <Directory /www/somedomain.co.uk/reports/>
        AuthUserFile /www/security/access
        AuthType Basic
        AuthName "Restricted Access"
        Require user secretuser
        Allow from all
        Order deny,allow
    </Directory>

    ServerName www.somedomain.co.uk
    ServerAlias somedomain.co.uk

    ExpiresActive On
    ExpiresByType text/html "access plus 30 seconds"
    ExpiresByType text/css "access plus 2 weeks"
    ExpiresByType text/javascript "access plus 2 weeks"
    ExpiresByType image/png "access plus 1 month"
    ExpiresByType image/gif "access plus 1 month"
    ExpiresByType image/jpg "access plus 1 month"

    AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/html text/css text/xml application/x-javascript application/javascript application/xml

    # Deactivate compression for buggy browsers
    BrowserMatch ^Mozilla/4 gzip-only-text/html
    BrowserMatch ^Mozilla/4\.0[678] no-gzip
    BrowserMatch \bMSIE !no-gzip !gzip-only-text/html

    DeflateCompressionLevel 6

    # Set header information for proxies

Posted by Jeroen Geilman <je...@adaptr.nl>.

Posted by "--[ UxBoD ]--" <ux...@splatnix.net>.
> Also I usually have the Basic authentication in a Location tag to
> ensure its been applied to the right URL.
>
> On Sat, Jan 22, 2011 at 11:45 PM, --[ UxBoD ]-- <ux...@splatnix.net>
> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a reports directory I wish to secure and have created the
> > necessary .htaccess file:
> >
> > AuthUserFile /www/security/somedomain_access
> > AuthType Basic
> > AuthName "Restricted Access"
> > Require user someuser
> >
> > I believe my virtual host config is correct:
> >
> > <VirtualHost *:80>
> >    ServerAdmin webmaster@somedomain.co.uk
> >    DocumentRoot "/www/somedomain.co.uk"
> >    <Directory /www/somedomain.co.uk/>
> >        AllowOverride All
> >    </Directory>
> >
> >    ServerName www.somedomain.co.uk
> >    ServerAlias somedomain.co.uk
> >
> >    ExpiresActive On
> >    ExpiresByType text/html "access plus 30 seconds"
> >    ExpiresByType text/css "access plus 2 weeks"
> >    ExpiresByType text/javascript "access plus 2 weeks"
> >    ExpiresByType image/png "access plus 1 month"
> >    ExpiresByType image/gif "access plus 1 month"
> >    ExpiresByType image/jpg "access plus 1 month"
> >
> >    AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/html text/css text/xml
> >    application/x-javascript application/javascript application/xml
> >
> >    BrowserMatch ^Mozilla/4 gzip-only-text/html
> >    BrowserMatch ^Mozilla/4\.0[678] no-gzip
> >    BrowserMatch \bMSIE !no-gzip !gzip-only-text/html
> >
> >    DeflateCompressionLevel 6
> >
> >    Header append Vary User-Agent
> >
> >    ErrorLog "logs/www.somedomain.co.uk-error.log"
> >    CustomLog "logs/www.somedomain.co.uk-access.log" common
> > </VirtualHost>
> >
> > Though when I navigate to
> > http://www.somedomain.co.uk/reports/test.html I am never prompted
> > for a user/password :( If I add some random text to .htaccess then I
> > do receive a Server Error so the file is being processed. Thoughts
> > please ?
> > --
> > Thanks, Phil

How do you mean, please ?