Posted to user@tuscany.apache.org by Dan Murphy <dm...@googlemail.com> on 2007/01/09 13:39:17 UTC

[SDO CTS] Launching and dependencies

Hi,

I would like to get people's thoughts on how we want to launch the SDO test
suite. As you may have seen, an initial set of tests have been committed via
jira 987 <http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TUSCANY-987>.

Since the tests are the "product" of the CTS suite, they are in the
/src/main/ folder. As I'm sure you know this means that they will be built
into a jar when the default mvn build is run.

Currently the pom does not actually attempt to run the CTS against any
implementation. Personally I think this is the right default behaviour, if
it was to run the CTS against Tuscany by default it would add a dependency
to tuscany and download it - which kind of goes against the idea of being
implementation agnostic.

However, people obviously do need to execute the CTS against an
implementation. We can do this a number of ways:

   1. Provide commented out sections in the pom.xml that when uncommented
   would run against a given implementation (with Tuscany as an example)
   2. Provide seperate, alternative pom's that run against given
   implementations; for example mvn -f tuscany.xml to run against Tuscany
   3. Provide an executable jar that contains a launcher such that a java
   -jar sdo2.1-cts-1.0-SNAPSHOT.jar would execute the test suites (and
   leave it to the user to put an implementation on their classpath)
   4. Provide a set of shell script to launch the tests (for Windows and
   unix/linux)

My personal preference is 2 (and is seems easier than 3 & 4) but not sure if
this approach would be acceptable for other implementations.
Anyone got an opinion of how they would like to launch/execute the tests ?

Cheers,
Dan

Re: [SDO CTS] Launching and dependencies

Posted by Robbie Minshall <my...@gmail.com>.
I would lean towards providing an exucutable jar file and a structure that
allows for vendors to have their own branch/pom.xml for vendor specific
implementations ( static code, TestHelperImpl etc ) and a dependancy on the
cts ( java/cts/sdo21 java/cts/vendorImpl/tuscany or something).  However, I
am not sure off the top of my head if that would work well with the surefire
plugin for maven.  I personally prefer and use ant so will ultmately just be
pulling in the cts jar into my own build env.

Robbie

--
* * * Charlie * * *
Check out some pics of little Charlie at

Check out Charlie's al crapo blog at http://robbieminshall.blogspot.com

* * * Addresss * * *
1914 Overland Drive
Chapel Hill
NC 27517

* * * Number * * *
919-225-1553

Re: [SDO CTS] Launching and dependencies

Posted by Robbie Minshall <my...@gmail.com>.